What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clockwise West flight

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
We are planning our trip for AWO etc and want to add a bit to it. Skip has college friends in Bozeman and I want to stop somewhere along the way and either camp or find a little motel or cabin.

I was thinking of stopping in Cavanaugh Bay ID(66S) or something along those lines.
If you were on a similar route where would you want to stop, for breakfast, lunch, the day, the night?

42e1722d810296a0dd30004500ee7d52.jpg

Can't go wrong with Cavanaugh Bay. you can camp there or call ahead a reserve the bunkhouse if you want. good food place at the end of the lake.

Townsend(8u8) has the cheapest fuel $5.15 in the state, I think.

West Yellowstone (KWYS) has a pilot only campground also.

Huckleberry, IN

Brian,

I read your 66S report and thought a revisit there would be a pretty good idea. Last time I was there Huckleberry Sundae's were not an option.

Looks great. I sure enjoyed seeing your report and all the inspiring photos.

Yes the Huckleberry sundaes were a perfect afternoon treat. We also had huckleberry crisps or something I think. I recall someone mentioned huckleberry daiquiri too, but didn't try them.

Stop in kernville (L05). You can camp there. Also there is a restaurant on the field. There is a river close to the camp site.

May I suggest......

Change Red Bluff to Cameron Park (O61), you have a place to stay, food, and cheap fuel. Easy flight from Rosie's.

Add Scappoose (KSPB) for cheap fuel and weekend lunch from EAA before Arlington.

Breaks up a couple of your longest legs into easier to swallow bites.

Last edited:
Don't foget to hit Copalis Beach (S16) on your way up the west coast. Check the interweb tide tide tables first though for that spot... ;)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/S16

Added to my list. Thanks Joe!

A good backup if tides or driftwood or ?? don't allow a landing at S16 you can stop by Westport 14S. Great Sandwiches at the Mermaid Deli & Pub. Also it's a short walk (less than 2 miles) to the harbour area with touristy shops and the beach.

Trip map

After plugging in suggestions, here's the latest
15e56f8d04d2d4d08e38281e857a7a2e.jpg

We are thinking of making it from RYN to AWO in one long day, slowing down after that.

Great input all, thanks.

Looks like I could use the whole summer off.

Spruce Goose

Just after passing Mount Shasta, do a 360 around Crater lake, then head over to McMinnville and walk across the highway to the Spruce Goose inside the Evergreen Museum. You could also stop into Van's Aircraft nearby at Aurora.

I second West Yellowstone. At the far end of the aircraft parking area there is a campground. You can also rent a car in the Terminal and tour Yellowstone.

Scappoose and McMinville in Oregon were good suggestions. You might also consider Tillamook. They have a huge wooden blimp hangar with an aviation museum inside. There used to be camping on the field. I haven't been there for a few years.

http://www.tillamookair.com/

This is the home of Tillamook Cheese. To make cheese you need milk. Want milk? You need cows. Lots of cows. The atmosphere at the campground has been aromatic at times...

If you haven't visited the San Juan Islands you should definitely consider doing that. It's near enough to AWO that we frequently get up in the morning and fly over there for breakfast. Orcas Island allows camping on the field in the nice grassy tiedown area. The airport in located directly on the water and town and restaurants are a quick walk through the trees from the airport. Showers located on the field too.

We usually fly over to Friday Harbor for breakfast or brunch. The Downrigger restaurant is located on the waterfront about a ten minute walk from the airport. They have a second floor deck that looks out over the harbor allowing you to watch the ferries and seaplanes come and go. If you are up for a fun B&B the Slowseason, a restored sailing vessel moored in the harbor is a fun stay. In years past they untied and motored around the local area while serving you breakfast. Sadly the sailing portion of the stay is history. There are many other whale watching and tour boats if you feel the need to get out on the water.

See you at Arlington!
David

We are thinking of making it from RYN to AWO in one long day, slowing down after that.

Really long day:eek:

If that is the goal, forget all the sightseeing diversions and go with the original plan. Red Bluff will probably be really hot, lousy density alt----and you will have to climb pretty hard to make it over the hills by Shasta.

If you want to make a two day of it, then lots of good suggestions above.

Closer to launch time

Ok, so now as things shake out a little my wild ideas of stopping at all the little nooks along the way meets our reality calendar....here is the latest.

Hopefully I get home late tomorrow night, allowing us to leave early Thurs and run a leisurely pace North. If I miss my flight home tomorrow night then I will be getting home early Thurs, packing up and departing by noon.

Either way we can get to AWO before dark,wx permitting.

I wanted to ask Mike S if there is a better option than RBL for fuel. I've stopped at RDD and RBL in past trips and although hot, RBL was a better performance stop than RDD going North over the mountains. We could fuel up earlier than RBL easy enough too.

Our initial goal is to get to AWO before the arrivals on Friday morning so we can watch all of that entertainment and not ourselves be providing any.

We are now going to leave AWO Sunday and stay in BZN for the night visiting Skip's 'ol ski/college buddies. Cavanaugh and McCall all looked real good on my radar, but the calendar is driving our choices so next trip for that.

Any FBO preferences at BZN? We hope to snag a courtesy car if possible there.

NorCal stops

If we skip stopping at Big Bear and keep flying North, is say Porterville a better stop than Madera?
We will likely take on fuel and eat our packed picnic lunch for this stop.

Visit Lower Antelope Canyon when at Page

Be sure to spend the time and visit the Lower Antelope Canyon when you stop at Page. We did that in April when we flew up there. Very memorable, quick side trip. This photo was taken with a simple point and shoot.

Be sure to spend the time and visit the Lower Antelope Canyon when you stop at Page. We did that in April when we flew up there. Very memorable, quick side trip. This photo was taken with a simple point and shoot.

Wow, looks like you stepped onto another planet.

Cathy, sorry, but I am not familiar with many CA fuel stops other than here at O61.

I do know that Scappoose is a decent price, and easy flight from here. Dont now if you can make it here on a nonstop however. We are at $5.39 last time I filled up, last Sunday. We are less than a half hour from Madera.

I use AirNav for fuel stop planning when I am going somewhere I am not familiar with the local fuel stops.

http://www.airnav.com/plan/fuel/

Good luck with the flight, and dont push things too far.

Back