What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Return Location on Firewall

PatrickN

I'm planning to install SDS EFI in my RV-14 and am working on the fuel system. Does anyone else who's done EFI have any suggestions as to where to install the fuel return on the firewall? The two options I've considered are 1. near the existing fuel line hole in the firewall, or 2. up near the location of the stock manifold pressure sensor (upper right).

Location 1 would allow me to keep the fuel lines together. Location 2 is near the typical fuel pressure regulator mounting point and would reduce the amount of "stuff" forward of the firewall.
Thanks!

Currently converting a F-1 with a IO550 to a dual SDS system making this the 4th EM-5 install for me. I will be mounting the regulator mid height on the firewall, dictated by the limited space and existing plumbing.

Your regulator can be mounted anywhere it makes sense to you, I have installed them high & low dependent on space/heat/plumbing restrictions. The return line eventually routes back to the duplex fuel valve, so having both firewall bulkhead fittings close together makes sense (to me). The lower firewall is usually less cluttered than high, so it makes sense (to me) to mount the regulator down low, away from heat sources, providing there is a good path for the flex fuel line to run up to the back baffle area. Also I like to mount a large capacity inline fuel filter on the firewall on the feed side, this insures no debris from a failing fuel pump would contaminate the injectors. So the regulator & filter could be close together to allow parallel fuel lines running up to the injector manifold mounted on the top of the engine.

Back