- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N282S View Post
ATIS: Please give us two or three more FISK ATIS phone lines. I sat for over an hour dialing and dialing to get the latest ATIS information via telephone.
Perhaps the LiveATC crew would be willing to add a channel for a simulcast of the arrival ATIS to provide an alternate means of access preflight.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Another thumbs up on more ATIS access. Perhaps a text website with current ATIS transcription would best be able to handle the high ping rate.

"Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things." - Anakin Skywalker
Dues Paid 2018
Old 08-11-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Interesting perspective

I think I have an interesting perspective on the events on Saturday and Sunday. I fly the Bell 47's during AV. On Sat we have training and Sunday we start flying passengers, so I get to hear hours of the fur ball arrivals.

The arrival system usually works fine. However, this year the weather was bad for a lot of Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. This was the real issue.

Here are some thoughts on possible changes.

1) ELIMINATE ALL MASS ARRIVALS ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. The mass arrival of Bonanza's on Sunday completely jacked up the arrivals sending a couple of hundred planes to alternate destinations. Couple that with a landing accident on 09 twenty minutes before schedule closure and it was a tough Sunday. Even heard on the radio by a pilot trying to get in but was kept away by the Bonanza's, "F'n Bonanza's, and I own one."

2. Open arrivals at 0600 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (Don't hate me Jeff)

3. Keep arrivals open till 2100 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (Don't hate me more Jeff)

4. Reduce the airshow time as mentioned. Seems to get longer every year.

5. Make the event Sunday through Saturday. I know the vendors would love this. Sunday, most of the airplanes are gone and the vendor areas are empty. Great time to do business with them though. Most are there on the first Sunday anyway. This would allow vendors to leave Sunday morning and get back to regular business on Monday. Make the Saturday night airshow the end of the event.

6. The FAA needs to have a team of people (3 pairs would work), to follow up on people who F up the arrival. Ramp check them and write them up if egregious. I think it was Sunday a V tailed Bonanza flew right over Pioneer in a nose up attitude, gear down, ready to fall out of the sky. I would have bet a paycheck the plane was going to crash. The plane continued at about 500' south bound over the ultralight area to who knows where. This guy needed to be talked to. I could go on on people who should have been talked to. I think word would get around!!

By the Grace of God there were no midairs. How? I've got no clue. There needs be some improvement. Averting disaster is getting tougher. "If it is predictable, it is preventable."
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Re: more ATIS or current conditions updates...:

I have found LiveATC to be very valuable in determining the current situation at Osh this year and in a the past. Sitting on the ground at a satellite airport with cell coverage I was able to get the ATIS and listen to the Fisk and tower controllers to know the most up to date info possible.

Helped me get out of Portage and into Osh after the field went VFR on Saturday afternoon about 16:45.

Listening to all three gives you a real picture of what is going on.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Re: more ATIS or current conditions updates...:

I have found LiveATC to be very valuable in determining the current situation at Osh this year and in a the past. Sitting on the ground at a satellite airport with cell coverage I was able to get the ATIS and listen to the Fisk and tower controllers to know the most up to date info possible.

Helped me get out of Portage and into Osh after the field went VFR on Saturday afternoon about 16:45.

Listening to all three gives you a real picture of what is going on.
Exactly the same for us the last few years. LiveATC in an earbud while sitting elsewhere, timing our pounce before the rest of the crowd wherever we're parked (FLD), has worked well so far. Rumors are rampant at area staging locations as to the status of the field. Listening to Fisk allow someone past is priceless.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Default 8 August Airventure Survey

Found a SurveyMonkey Airventure survey in my email dated 8 Aug. 20 minutes of likes/dislike rating and notations.

Might be worth your time. Covered everything but ATC directly, but you can expound in a few sections.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Found a SurveyMonkey Airventure survey in my email dated 8 Aug. 20 minutes of likes/dislike rating and notations.

Might be worth your time. Covered everything but ATC directly, but you can expound in a few sections.
I contributed my .02 last week
2017 Donation Paid
Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner20 View Post
I contributed my .02 last week
Me too. And every one of the "other comments" fields was filled out. They will definitely understand my point of view.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.