Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
I tried using the HF rivet puller a couple of years ago. Went through 2 different tools, neither of which worked properly. Returned them and bought a better tool (Dayton brand if I recall correctly) which has worked well.

However, if I were going to build a complete RV-12, I think I would spend a few hundred $ for one of the high end "Pop" brand rivet guns or equal. I had the chance to use one when I was building my empennage at Synergy Air and the differences were very noticeable. A very smooth pull, lighter and smaller, and with a vacuum holding the rivet in place in the nose piece and pulling the stem into a flexible catch tube. With as many rivets as I think there must be on the 12, I personally think spending the extra money would be worth it.

Good luck with your new project.
Any way you could provide us with a weblink to the gun you are talking about?
I think many would be interested, based upon your positive experience with it.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Default Industrial POP rivet guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
Any way you could provide us with a weblink to the gun you are talking about?
I think many would be interested, based upon your positive experience with it.
I didn't write down the model number when I was using it at Synergy Air, but looking at the POP industrial website I believe it was one of their ProSet series Air Rivet Guns, possibly the ProSet 2500. https://poprivettooling.com/catalog/...ies-rivet-gun/

Looks like this has been replaced by their new ProSet XT series. Here is a link to one vendor of this new series: http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/POP-...h_p_16114.html

These are not low cost rivet guns, and are certainly not required when there are lower priced guns available. But considering the quantity of pulled rivets in an RV-12, if I were building an RV-12 I would likely spend the $800 for a high quality tool such as these. (Since Synergy Air builds the RV-12 that Van's sells as an SLSA, I'm not surprised they had invested in these industrial quality tools.)

I've had too many times were I have regretted buying a lower priced tool due to problems, lower precision, lower reliability, heavier, etc. Now if I would just learn this lesson instead of repeating this mistake every few years . . .

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-02-2018, 10:06 PM

Thank you very much for posting that, Dave.
Also, your advice is well taken regarding tools.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:56 AM

If I was to buy a pop rivet gun I would look at the milwaukee cordless 12 volt. I have had no experience with it and really donít know Anything about It but you might want to check it out. Cordless tools have come a long way from what they used to be. I think itís around $300 but you can probably get it cheaper. Just Google for Milwaukee rivet gun video! Needs no hose!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:55 PM

even the best gun will leave a marred rivet head with a poorlt surfaced, sized, shaped mandrel.
i took a 1/4'' bolt with coarse threads and dressed the head and drilled the proper hole size for the rivet. cut to proper length and heat treated. my rivet heads look perfect after setting. i'll bet there are a lot of builders out there that could have improved the heads by using a GOOd mandrel. the HF gun has done 2 planes for me.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 PM

This is the gun i've been using

Astro Pneumatic Tool PR14 Air Riveter - 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16" and 1/4" Capacity

It's worked great, hasn't needed any adjustments at all. I just add a few drops of oil into the air inlet before use and go to town!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About 90 bucks on Amazon.
Wings 50% complete..............
Dues paid 2018
Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM

we are using the new Milwaukee cordless riveter at work- very good product.