What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sherwin-Williams Skyscapes GA test panel

goatflieg

Well Known Member
After many trials and tribulations, I finished my test panel. It utilized the five main colors intended for my RV-8 exterior: Olive Drab, Neutral Gray, Insignia Red, Insignia White and Insignia Blue; all custom blended. The light spots in the olive drab and the gray are sanded-in "patina"... an improvisation to disguise flaws. Yeah... a lotta flaws. This and some other smaller test panels are my very first attempts at using a spray gun, mixing paint and masking. I've learned a lot... and have a lot more learning to do. I originally was planning to spray my aircraft with flat paint, but after attending the Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Coatings Training Program and later discussions with reps from SW and Blend Supply, I decided to stick with Skyscapes GA. Now that I've seen the result of using the gloss clearcoat, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. The finish gives the impression of being tough as nails.
r3o8CeeKMY-hhJ0M9NywoGXjwI6bA0q5IVIQUE2VEg7rUrsUu2zq7QiMC3eefEum9QnDCfhF_2hjqSi_SDRF4brElmo_vzjtLKVNXMxa0boAFkSgjwsTVpon4KytITN7og7QgEP0yM4v85Uf-nZFHodgPe5Gye7ddewTDpiANA6b8IrLFaVf2JAFGDuJ3wvXCJsNe8EecbxoWBrNKwlQYZde8Nda_FAe-UwfbxS7MFy6l6YjtkA0llb_mkTuZ28Nm9Z0g-MTKm49BYEkO8q8OZDg73O3VQDVdlcTHkr5CyBMzc_b4XY8EaxD_8ewDKlKkaRTYIRKZKxZCXCg2abWRl9biROVT3s1sQJvpq3eYsgzzmDGQdA2V11VQKJL0GueT7WygQOVG9b02AilYJoRoYFGCSfV6NfbZ_Bdhl83X218KJEh0cuRNzESI6t2yvOjjYsXOAv1Fqf8m1XDksL6LOKM2xhp9hZolVZXiu2hbaXewPncriAJQe9HZ1XMv0lKOJyzJwVXuedRbtN_rpPjBewuUKdYdlprC555S96en6lvL-5B-LRf97bUTs6WjwwKjoM3DlnSZfzGvGDw6ALc0cgFC0U4IQ2yKdR_Wlg8JGl0NzJs6tzA=w1461-h974-no

I love the paint; the OD suggests you're going for an AAC/AAF paint scheme, no?

Also, the picture of the Corsair is gorgeous. I have a couple of good ones myself. My all-time favorite airplane.

Yes; Mid-year 1943 Army Air Corps colors. Blend supply was able to have S-W match the original ANA colors... as far as I can tell; don't have much to cross-check it with, but they look right. Got small quart batches for now... will order larger quantities when needed.

More Kudos to Sherwin Williams and Blend Supply

Now that I've reached a satisfactory conclusion, I'd like to share more details about my initial testing and learning how to use my new paint gun.
I've reached a point in the build when I had to put down the rattle can, take a deep breath and wade into the deep end of using a paint gun to shoot aerospace coatings by myself for the first time. I needed to paint my interior parts before assembling them, so after prepping my first practice parts I shot one coat of wash primer, one coat of urethane primer and one coat of the flat green military coating I wanted for my interior. The first three test pieces were a disaster, not only because I hadn't refined my skills on mixing and shooting... but the paint came out blotchy, and worse: glossy. Making sure it wasn't a problem with my custom-mix interior green, I tried shooting the black with the same result.
zOr-CBTH3g5565x4zRmZOML9fUMIqVZ8P3jHUqUw5A_CEL6Y2IaO8zBbh4jJJzJ7m469p3lny1WwRTSIQ7NYNq9wYI6cnAWL3z1Ym-LUbOV7qtaNmxutz_ouTtvzWw860FXfYND0hkVTuwaTDqf8wA-mtGtGK9OVFO0KHflRt6V9a9riaWAZw-ZqKsMSkSl7JzdRvTEEYJUGb83gKva1HxmmTeoEFMf9Q0k_xJ9FxWEWPk5Hbae6oISmcZk_4_SXIEE67VAEy3zcxIFhPmGOzO_BiaYm44cM98R-tLZPpTJEnH0ZmJpBA7su9tAFPMtT5U2isdD5SJqFYB2dJ5r6qs9-QDg68HDcu9FxAKw5Y5tjLnKthJqFF7DCw3c4aPElfq0nmXRwmiwA0Rzeaoiw1zW7sGN7krO3bnQaDyUjTBonhTKM3KYqC5Ej7Xo3U7GQTA_yEOZJH7iAC1x2J1YGWtEVzrmREMPiQuQO4KgJX6OMJ88LuG0QOv_tejXmQflyrT-u5d2LG2b0DqgGu6tJpXkbcKd5POZxHMJOJW6OxrXTj0nKDnHMdH2-Sr0d18HzhoL54EDOqT4luvraOwOKajbfKPWBRqYAl7Z3sMJ31e0ibvmutSCG=w900-h600-no

I was heartbroken; I spent a lot of money on these paints, and they weren't turning out at all as expected. In desperation, I sent out an email with photos to Steve Voisin at Sherwin-Williams and Ryan Wilcox at Blend Supply. This was on a Sunday, and I didn't expect an answer until the next week. Much to my surprise, Steve Voisin called me back within the hour (even though he was on a family vacation!) and we discussed the issue at length. I ended up shooting another black test piece later that day and the result was better, but still glossy, and I sent Steve photos of the result. The next day I spoke to Ryan at Blend who told me that he and Steve had conferred on the issue, and he suggested altering the ratios of paint and curative used in the military blends. The day after that Steve also called me and suggested the same thing. By this time I was working on the Skyscapes test panel shown above and told him I would try the new ratios when I was finished with the Skyscapes panel. That took longer than expected (another long story), but I did get a chance to reshoot the green today, and I was thrilled to find that the adjustment worked perfectly. Not only was it a flat finish; it was so flat that my camera wouldn't focus on it unless I included background clutter in the frame! Those mil-spec guys must be serious about stealthy coatings!
62kF7yKB_Uwbaak8BUbYjFj4SvERpAHHeBI88_WLNVLmk_QlnzUh0YrF4eeT4iL0WBa80mfjtAcmacbRQ3YzWe_IxtYO5JTMaZTIAjynEEE69CH__V7O87HKb61ggI9km4Zza1yesrbz234OF83YX-DB-1p1H7IuR4S8jYg-zRAlf2DdN_z5H9Z7nOb2D5ch4rlaCZAOCQBuVOYj5S7r5xUEj6tYHi-e-tmOyacNQ1fLtMgjHHXBUNa0MI-DDQnC5PP93VJHqvb8tQbqw9ZlZbtv90IQc7U1STqV_UlYH-3sw0xEqP8fw3vRXw7EcBTDMaV70Kd6-nJu0gYorM6PLa_ressXY0nEHG6t2H_ftAMeU983GlLclUPwoOs234ySft2Luv4D3jqbtyKcrFp_o3uvbFDKpZoycSEhE4-R1QL_mH51iFURVgLMWWbI0SfIoGdWe48L6gXQRSZkKkgE9pvAYRHQ2pxqpHf8VrAFiApMMkJQKLa9ylTRRY27e0YviN6YOFiDA0nuXJxZafWzrHcXcjC8DNpjEkI8LsDyO2AW8Exz7GEYhYqlkVd1HxZPzxxTUE3MZC5rNL--WhADAU88PW_5MvECDZzFg40qLzlkUWXWa90d=w900-h600-no

I can't emphasize how pleased I am with the customer service I received from Steve Voisin at Sherwin-Williams and Ryan Wilcox at Blend Supply. Steve was one of the guys that ran the Aerospace Coatings Training Program I attended in Wichita, and he and Ryan have been very patient and very helpful in helping a novice like me get through the daunting process of not only getting the paint and supplies I need, but helping me through the stages of learning I've had to face. These guys are heavy hitters in the industry, used to dealing with military contracts and corporate/industry orders... and they're still willing to make sure that little guys like me get taken care of properly as well. My highest recommendations go to Sherwin-Williams and Blend Supply; as far as I'm concerned, they're the best.

Last edited:
Back