What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Almost Done!

Gary Baker

Well Known Member
I have been working on my RV-6 for over 17 years, on and off. I figure that I coached over twenty-five youth sports teams while my boys were growing up. Between these extra-curricular activities and work, I didn't make much progress over many years. I have gotten back into finishing it in the past few years. I am now in the 90% done, 90% to go phase. My friend painted the fuselage last week and we will start on the wings this week.

I thought I would post these photos of the fuselage to show what a little perseverance will do for you!

imageimc.jpg

imagedxgk.jpg

imageiyn.jpg

imageezsn.jpg

I've received a lot of assistance from folks on this forum. Thanks for everyone's time in answering questions and especially, adding photos to illustrate an answer! Now to get the last 90% done!

Last edited:
Beautiful paint and inspiring story, Gary. Thanks for sharing. I get frustrated when I think of distractions which drag on for weeks sometimes. It sure is helpful to be reminded that there are often great reasons--like parenting--to put the project aside for a bit, but that needn't mean we won't finish eventually. Congrats on being almost finished.

--
Stephen

It looks great Gary. Can't wait for our first trip to OSH together (or Sun n Fun)

(Gary and I started our RV-6's together in Ohio at the same time. In fact, he helped me unload my kit. He's taking a little longer than me but I'm retired)

hi, great work! so can you tell us about the paint and the process you are using(or your friend is using)?
great determination in seeing it up to this point!!

Here is what a clearcoat will do for your paint!

Tonight Walt sprayed the cowling, canopy, vertical stab and rudder with two coats of clearcoat. The difference is amazing! I have never been involved in painting something like this, so I am blown away by the change created by the clearcoat.

Walt is doing a base coat/clearcoat on the RV. This is the third plane he has painted. He has painted all sorts of vehicles over the past forty years, so he has a little experience. Walt started in his mother's garage painting friends' cars and motorcycles and has painted in top-dollar paint shops. He said this job is taking him back to his roots, using my shop with furnace filters in the door keeping (some of) the bugs out.:eek:

Walt had added pearl chips to the two blue colors and they will pop in the sunlight!

Compare these photos to the ones above:

dsc04467qq.jpg

dsc04468gj.jpg

dsc04469s.jpg

Paint job

Please post the pic when plane is together cant wait to see it.

Last edited:
Paint colors

What type of paint are you using ?

Hi Jan,

The lighter blue is Honda Belize Blue and the gold is DuPont Las Vegas Gold Metallic. Walt, my painter, added the darker blue. I have to get the color chip from him.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Looks great! I was going to ask if you were leaving it matte finished... seems to be popular on cars and motorcycles these days... but the clear-coated finish looks amazing!

Back