VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM

Default here we go

Some may not be aware of the Lycoming Flyer, what's in it. My point was if you have the 160hp Lyc, it does not simply have higher compression producing pistons, and/or the IO vs O model did not simply have FI replace the carb.

In other threads, the RVAtor has lots of pertinent information that goes to the subjects of those threads as well.

If you're already familiar with these pubs, then fine and dandy. Carry on at a high rate of speed as a friend of mine is prone to say.
RV6/N72AT bought flying, sold
B737-800/NxxxAN
Sonex TD w/Aerovee/N732SX bought flying
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Default Lycoming

If you search the lycoming yahoo forum you will find much info on all these subjects. Many posts by Mahlon Russell from Mattituck on all these issues. Basically he says it is ok to convert 150 hp to 160 hp with the four bearing setup and plain steel cylinders. The cylinders are mostly a wear issue. Over 160 hp I personally would want the D style front main bearing. On the carb, at some point the main nozzle was changed to a more efficient design, and this would be the most desirable carb. At least some carbs can be upgraded to equivalent of latest design for homebuilts.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv4i View Post
Some may not be aware of the Lycoming Flyer, what's in it. My point was if you have the 160hp Lyc, it does not simply have higher compression producing pistons, and/or the IO vs O model did not simply have FI replace the carb.
Link,

I am certainly aware of what is in Lycoming Flyer. However, I think you need to bear in mind Lycoming's desire to sell spare parts, protect the company from any kind of litigation and uphold their reputation. They are not about to tell you that its OK to modify their products. Field experience says the modifications we are talking about are satisfactory and do not lead the engine to self destruct in 100 hours. Will it self destruct in 1000 hours? Who knows? With most people only flying 50 to 100 hours a year there is really no way of knowing what caused an engine to start making metal 1000 hours and 10+ years after higher compression pistons were installed.

As for the changes between an O and an IO not being just the FI parts being bolted on, well that statement is not borne out by the parts catalogue.

Pete
Old 12-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRV9Dreamer View Post
The Lycoming Parts Catalog lists four different carb part numbers for my O-320-E2A. They are all MA-4SPA, but have the following numbers:
10-3678-32
10-4910
10-5009
10-5135 - UPDATE - I found a previous post that recommended this one as the "richest" of the bunch, which will help for both 160HP and for Vans higher airflows.... so I guess I'm all set. Sorry I couldn't find the way to delete a post.

Does this mean any will work and be legal for a certified engine?

Also, if I convert to 160HP pistons will that influence my choice?

Thanks for any info,
10 years late but might be worth passing this on.

We received different advice from MS regarding which Carby is richer/leaner at WOT.

(Specifically for an O-320, 150HP E2G converted to 160HP D2A, MA4-SPA 10-5135)

"The 47-828 nozzle used in the 10-5135/5217 carburetors has a main jet size of nominally .093 of an inch."

"The 47-773 nozzle used in the 10-3678-32 carburetors has a main jet size of nominally .1065 of an inch."

Hope this helps someone.

Pat.

Last edited by OZCleco : 12-08-2019 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Bold Type