What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D-180 upgrade

Mark33

Well Known Member
I?m looking into selling my -4 and buying an -8 to hold me over while I?m building my -7. The -8 I?m looking at is VERY nice, but the panel is a little bit dated. It currently has a D-180 in it along with a few other avionics that are getting a little bit long in the tooth. So, is there an easy/straightforward way to upgrade from a D-180 to ?something? else? The panel currently has a D-180 and Tru-Trac autopilot. I?d like to be able to upgrade the D-180, but I don?t want to have to re-wire the entire airplane. I?ll admit it, I'm a Garmin guy, but I think for simplicities sake regarding wiring, engine sensors, etc. and for being able to keep the existing autopilot servos, and also trying to keep cost somewhat under control, I think the easiest path to an upgrade would be to stick with a Dynon product. Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

Why not leave everything the way it is in the RV8. Save a lot of time and money and put that into your Rv7 and get it done quicker..

Why not leave everything the way it is in the RV8. Save a lot of time and money and put that into your Rv7 and get it done quicker..

That?s a whole other conversation, but I?m currently looking for input/ideas to my question. Thanks!

Dynon SkyView upgrade

The easiest way is to swap out the D180 and replace with one of the SkyView displays. Add the EMS module, and ADHARS module, then add either the GPS 250 or GPS 2020 receiver. That would depend if you are already 2020 compliant. If not just add the GPS 2020 receiver, the 261 transponder for ADSB out and the 471 for ADSB in. If your sensors are all Dynon type, then if I remember correctly, they are good to go for the engine. Your trutrak servo mounts work will the Dynon servos, but the servos will not. If the autopilot is working with the D180 you can continue using the trutrak if you want.

If you want a better idea, email me at [email protected] for some more info and I will be happy to help you out.

Brian

Last edited:
The easiest way is to swap out the D180 and replace with one of the SkyView displays. Add the EMS module, and ADHARS module, then add either the GPS 250 or GPS 2020 receiver. That would depend if you are already 2020 compliant. If not just add the GPS 2020 receiver, the 261 transponder for ADSB out and the 471 for ADSB in. If your sensors are all Dynon type, then if I remember correctly, they are good to go for the engine. Your trutrak servo mounts work will the Dynon servos, but the servos will not. If the autopilot is working with the D180 you can continue using the trutrak if you want.

If you want a better idea, email me at [email protected] for some more info and I will be happy to help you out.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I?ll shoot you over an email.

Back