What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Fluid - is it ever OK?

Steve Iacoviello

I carry a can of starter fluid in my RV ever since having a difficult time starting on a cross country years ago at 30F. I was able to start but almost drained the battery first. I have an O320 with no primer but as I am based in Houston I have not needed a primer (except that one time in Flagstaff). I have never needed to use the starter fluid but have seen it used on two aircraft having starting issues. Both times the engine started quickly. I have also read that ?bad? things happen if you use starting fluid. I agree fully that one should not depend on starter fluid but my question, is a two second shot of starter fluid going to cause engine damage? Is there real data?

I honestly cant tell you if it good or bad for the engine, but I can say that possibly increases your chance for an intake fire (possibly....who knows).

The thing is, if it is below 40 degrees, Lycoming specifies that you preheat the engine above that temp before starting to preclude damage from lack of lubrication. As someone who grew up in teh frozen northb, draining the oil out of a J-3 at the end of a day, and warming it on teh stove before pouring it in the next morning, I’d say your big damage risk is firing up without preheat - either direct, or by putting the airplane in a hangar for a little while.

Paul

I always carry a can in the winter and put it to use if the engine doesn't fire after a few blades. In an RV I'll squirt the filter for about three seconds.

would not use it on my engine though... doesn't like detonation :eek:
If it doesn't start say on the 5th blade, something's wrong or my starting technique is not appropriate.

I had a friend with a Lancair 360 w/ an Allison throttle body that refused to start on it's own. He carried a can of starting fluid and used it on every first start of his flight. Never had a problem.

Way back when, they would tell you that once you started using it you would have to keep using it. I think that was just a wives tale.
Having to use it is a symptom of something wrong with the fuel to air ratio, or the spark energy. That something wrong could be as simple as the air temp and resistance of the cold oil to swinging the prop.
I used to have to use it in my old Hyster. It absolutely wouldn?t start without it. Later, it became even more stubborn. I diagnosed it to bad points/condenser and a weak battery. Starts fine now without it after years of using it, so my guess is it hurts nothing.

Back