Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVal View Post
Support replied that a 1 amp CB is sufficient and the ADS-B antenna should be mounted a minimum of one meter from the transponder antenna. The reference to the CB is now on page 14 of the online manual. The antenna info has not been updated.
The minimum distance that the ADS-B antenna can be mounted from the transponder antenna (1 meter) is now posted on page 17 of the online manual.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 05-05-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:08 AM

Default Echo

Completed the installation of my Uavionix Echo yesterday and did a test flight this morning. I requested a performance report from the FAA but probably won't get it until Monday. If your equipment is not listed in the normal performance report you have to email a request for one. I did see my N number on flightradar24 so I know it's putting out data. I used my GNS430w for the 2020 compliant gps so the total cost was just the $1000 for the Echo. Now keeping my fingers crossed for a good report.

Dan
RV-7a
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Is anyone installing the ECHO-ATU-20 in an older RV-12? I have GTX327 so will need both the ADS-B transceiver and UAVIONIX SkyFYX GOS source. Looks like $1500 would take of of it. Probably going to pull out the credit card this summer at AirVenture.

I'm wondering if the SkyFYX GPS antenna will fit next to my Garmin 296 antenna under the cowling? Can they co-exist side by side?

Looking forward to the ADS-B "in" via WIFI to my mini iPad running ForeFlight for both traffic and weather. Nice added benefit...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 391

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 05-07-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Installation Manual Updates

GRT Sky-Safe 2020 GPS Installation Manual (page 15):

GRT has updated the wiring diagram connections for the uatECHO with GRT EFIS configurations.

uAvionix uatEcho Installation Manual page 13):

Pin #1 on the 6 pin connector now identified (this information was previously missing).

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 05-07-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Default uatECHO Interface with GRT

Here is the combined package that GRT has put together to interface with GRT EFIS displays:

http://www.grtavionics.com/uavionix-echo-uat.html

Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVal View Post
GRT Sky-Safe 2020 GPS Installation Manual (page 15):
GRT has updated the wiring diagram connections for the uatECHO with GRT EFIS configurations...
Yesterday I submitted the following question to GRT Technical Support:

On 5/7/2017 9:47 AM, Tom & Cathy Valenia wrote:
Your wiring diagram on page 15 of the installation manual shows the ADB-B receiver output passes through the Serial Combiner to the EFIS via the GPS unit. Isnít this contrary to the statement below?

Devices that provide large amounts of data at high baud rates (38400+), such as ADS-B receivers or XM weather will function through the combiner, but could exceed the capacity of the combiner and reduce the available data that could be passed through the other serial ports. For this reason, high data rate devices must be wired directly to the display unit to avoid data loss.

Regards,
Tom Valenzia

GRT Response:

Yes. That was copied from a diagram that uAvionix came up with for the echo. Ideally the ADS-B output should go to a dedicated input on the EFIS if you have one available. uAvionix may have tested the echo in this configuration and designed or found it does not overload the serial combiner. We need to talk to everyone involved to make sure that will work without data loss.

Jeff DeFouw <jeffd@grtavionics.com>
Programmer
GRT Avionics, Inc.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Default Big Issue with uAvionix when using a G430W for GPS position

The uAvionix echo UAT can only accept the G430W GPS position on its COM2 In Port, and the G430W only outputs at 9600 Baud. The echoUAT can then only TX on COM2 at 9600 Baud. COM2 TX is the only serial port that can output Serial TFC & WX (to an EFIS) so it then can only send out TFC & WX at 9600 Baud,

COM1 cannot be used for sending out TFC or WX, only UAT control.

So if you plan on using your G430W for GPS position this UAT will only be usable over WIFI for TFC & WX since 38400 Baud is the bare minimum for usable TFC & WX for ADSB, and preferred is 115200 Baud and neither are possible when using the G430W.

I just learned this integration lesson the hard way.

For example NAVWORX in its setup SW can limit the number/sec of TFC & WX messages that are sent to the EFIS so if you are using 38400 Baud you can make sure your COM Port is not overloaded. No such option exists in the uAvionix SW, and 9600 Buad is so slow as to be out of the question.

If you get a stand alone approved WAAS GPS that can output its Serial data at 115200 Baud then there should not be any echoUAT COM issues for a wired EFIS.

*** Update, I just got a call from uAvionix and they are looking to see if they can fix this issue in their software. So standby..

Cecil
IO-360, MGL-EFIS, G430W, ADSB
2018 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD

Last edited by hpmicrowave : 05-10-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Update on the post
Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM

"For example NAVWORX in its setup SW can limit the number/sec of TFC & WX messages that are sent to the EFIS so if you are using 38400 Baud you can make sure your COM Port is not overloaded. No such option exists in the uAvionix SW, and 9600 Buad is so slow as to be out of the question."

What is SW?
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 05-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Default What is SW?

SW is my Acronym for Software.

Cecil
IO-360, MGL-EFIS, G430W, ADSB
2018 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Default installed EchoUAT

I bought two EchoUAT units at Sun n Fun. I installed the first in our RV7a and have been test flying. I have an Avidyne 540 in the panel and uAvionics had not tested with Avidyne. Thanks to excellent support from Ryan, it is now working. I have many successful ADSB performance reports so it is working well.

The 540 has the option for ADSB+ G2 which is at a 38400 speed. I also have asked for the data out to come from the other IO port at 115200. I expect them to add that option to their software.

I have installed the second EchoUAT in our RV10 this week as we completed the annual condition inspection and expect to fly it next week.

This is a good option for an experimental airplane.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ