What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PocketHorizon GPS

DaveLS

Well Known Member
Looking for recomendations for a gps to use with an iPod Touch and PocketHorizon.

Bad Elf
Others?

Thanks, Dave

I can't help with a gps recommendation, but have you considered just looking for a used 3G iphone? GPS is built in, & I see them on Craigslist often for not much more than some of the i-compatible GPS units. The phone will function just like an ipod touch (my granddaughter has one without the sim card that she uses that way).

Charlie

GPS Recommendations for PocketHorizon

Looking for recomendations for a gps to use with an iPod Touch and PocketHorizon.

Bad Elf
Others?

Thanks, Dave

If you like a dongle (no separate power supply, best iPod battery life), the Bad Elf is definitely best. If you like bluetooth (likely better view of the sky due to improved placement in the cockpit), the Dual XGPS-150A is the best. Both are very good, no matter the placement. Stay away from the Garmin GLO, as it currently does not work with PocketHorizon due to its non-standard variable update rate; a poor design choice on Garmin's part.

And yes, the iPod works fine with an external GPS. No jailbreaking required (or recommended!) And if you have a newer iPod 4th Generation you'll have the gyro as well, for fastest attitude response with PocketHorizon.

Ted Cannaday
Maker of PocketHorizon
www.logical-drive.com

Welcome to VAF!!

Ted, welcome to VAF.

Always good to have another vendor taking part in the forums.

Back