What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank T-708 Question?

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm ready to match drill the T-708 mounting plate to the T-703 end rib on my left fuel tank.

There doesn't seem to be any guidance in the instructions for what drill bit size to use.

The call out for the nut plates say's K1000-08. This would normally (I think) use a #19 bit.

But What cleco do you use for a #19 hole?? The instructions say drill and cleco the T-708 plate but none of the clecos I have are the right size...

I guess I could use -8R8 machine screws as I go along but that doesn't seem right...

Am I using the wrong size bit?

Help!:eek:

That is the correct size bit for a #8 screw. There are associated clecos for that size as well as other, larger ones that you'll likely need at some point. They also make shorter (aka stubby) versions for tighter spaces.

EDIT: You can drill initially to #30, cleco, then drill up for the nutplates.

Are you using a nutplate jig? Well worth the cost!

Thanks for confirming the #19 drill bit is the right one.

The 5/32" cleco's must be the ones I need...I've never seen the black ones on peoples build logs and Van's doesn't list them as necessary. Oh Well...

I decided to use some hardware store 8-32 screws and nuts to hold things in place as I drill.

Not using a nut plate jig...just a nut plate with a stud in place to align things.

Michael, you will get a LOT of use out of the pro-made nut plate jigs. I strongly recommend you get yourself #6, #8, ,#10(AN3) sizes. You will use them hundreds of times and save lots of time and frustration.

Bevan.

Michael, you will get a LOT of use out of the pro-made nut plate jigs. I strongly recommend you get yourself #6, #8, ,#10(AN3) sizes. You will use them hundreds of times and save lots of time and frustration.

Bevan.

Convinced!

I had to make a Yard Store order so I included nut plate jigs!!

Back