What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size of hole in panel for canopy release

kinger

Well Known Member
I'm away from my plans and hangar for the next two months. I am trying to layout and cut my panel.

Can anyone tell me the final size of the whole in the panel to drill for the Tip-up canopy release handle?

Thanks

James King

If you are going with the plans, then it is a SB500-6 snap bushing, a 0.500" hole. I am planning to use a push pull cable to get a horizontal orientation instead and it will need to be smaller in my case.

You Should Strongly Consider a "hidden" Release

I did mine according to plans, and it's really a waste of valuable panel space. You're NEVER going to release it airborn, so convenience is really a moot point. Search the forums- some of the builders have come up with pretty slick alternatives. You can chose from a number of ideas. One other point about the standard "T" release. It's steel, and caused quite a bit of deviation with my compass. Finally solved that problem by fabricating a new T from austenitic stainless. Good luck.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

If you are going with the plans, then it is a SB500-6 snap bushing, a 0.500" hole. I am planning to use a push pull cable to get a horizontal orientation instead and it will need to be smaller in my case.
What do you mean by a "horizontal orientation"? Just curious.

I'm also curious... I just removed the T-handle from my panel and haven't decided where to put the canopy release yet. I've got it secured, but not accessible. I'm not in any rush to do anything about it as I don't own a parachute.

One of these handles might be fun!
AprTriptoVa013a.jpg

Don't know where to put it though.

The handle that comes from Van's has the end welded at 8 degrees to align with the vertical access of the plane, not the panel. The result is you can't simply rotate it into a horizontal position. I am planning on using this cable from Spruce instead (assuming its travel is long enough, tbd): http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a1870.php. My panel page shows the orientation I am after, though with that cable I have many choices on its location: http://jmjula.home.comcast.net/~jmjula/panel.htm

Might want to look at that again. I don't have the plans in front of me, but I remember looking at them for quite a while before I understood that the angle was put there so the handle would sit *horizontal* on the panel, and parallel to the panel as well. The linkage it attaches to behind the sub-panel rotates, moving the end of the actuating rod from side-to-side as the rod is pushed in.

On my -6, when the handle is pulled out, the "T" part of the handle sits at an angle to the panel, and the long rod is perpendicular to the panel. When the rod is pushed in, the T-handle is horizontal and parallel to the panel (and about an inch out from the panel, the way i've set it up). The long rod is no longer perpendicular, it points off towards my oil door, but it's hidden behind the panel.

Back