What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS 411 A-B Rivets

330Jock

Well Known Member
OK guys, took me a little longer to get my shop set up and practice kits built, but as of March 1st I am offically a builder! Woo Hoo!
It's a little early for me to be questioning the mother ship, but are the rivet lengths in the plans right for the HS 411 A-B and A146 bearing. Plans call for 470 AD 4-5 rivets. Every time I try to set these rivets they are either not set enough and the rivet gage slides on with too much play. Or the rivet gauge is fine but rivets are too short. What gives? I plan on calling Vans Mon. morning, but maybe you experts can keep me from looking like a dummy!
Thanks,
Bill

Not too uncommon

It is not too uncommon for the wrong rivet to be called out on the plans. I found that cleveland tools rivet gage was very helpful for me early on to determine the proper length of the rivet before I set it. Sounds like you need a longer rivet than the plans call for. Hope this helps

For the most part only use the plans as a guide to the correct size. If you prime, then the rivets will likely need to be longer in many cases. The best bet is to use a rivet gauge to measure.

Sometimes the ideal size is in between two. You can purchase a rivet cutter for that, or just grind them down on a 3m wheel to the length you need if it is only a couple rivets. As you will find, use too long a rivet and it tips over, too short and the shop head doesn't meet proper specs.

Hi Mate,
I had the same problem with the bearing,
i put in the first -5 wasnt happy so i drilled it out and put in all -6's and was happy with the shop head they produced

Back