What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-414 - what rivets to use

branislav

I'm New Here
What type of rivets should be used on outboard aileron hinge bracket assembly (W-414) to join W-414A-L and W-413B-R near the bearing ? Flush rivets ? What side should the flush side go ? The drawing I have has wrong information for these rivets.

Thanks. Branislav

Old thread, same question

Old thread, but I have the same question. My plans say that the outboard backet, the flush heads need to be on the "out board" side. It seems to me that the flush head should be on the inboard side of the out board bracket. Are the plans wrong here?

Hopefully I am reading this right. I just got done getting my wings flight worthy and had to restudy this myself. The reason, I believe, the flush side on on the outside is because of how the bearings might fail and which way the aileron will move if they pop out. The large washer on the inboard bracket prevents the aileron from going outward, but it would end up sliding inward some, thus the need for flush heads outboard(?). I doubt it is very likely for this to happen, but I also suspect that is why the per plans gap is 1/4" to the flaps.

Now that being said, I had to drill out the upper one of those rivets and make it a double flush rivet because my aileron needed to be positioned a bit more outward to make room for very difficult to fit flaps. I had less than 1/32" clearance to the shop head of the rivet, so I decided to make this change.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem last night. The shop head of one of the uppermost rivets on the W-414 assembly was rubbing the aileron bracket. I used a combination of 3 tweaks to get decent clearance:

1. Flattened the rivet some more. Previously, it had the proper diameter, but was too tall. So I put more pressure to the squeezer and now it's a bit over diameter, but the right height.
  2. I re-arranged the washers a little bit: placing the thin one on the inboard side of the outboard aileron hinge bracket/bearing instead of the outboard side.
  3. Ditto on the inboard bearing: Moved a washer from the outboard side of the bearing to the inboard side.

Now I have plenty of clearance. :)

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

Last edited:
Back