Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-22-2018, 09:50 PM

Default update

I was all off. Here's the info:

The tax bill lists it as"voted indebtedness" and it passes muster with Prop 218 because it passed a public vote in 1948. It is an unsecured property tax on business items and other non- real estate items like aircraft. The county rate is 1%. The City of Compton adds another .48%. Therefore, a $600 tax bill from the County will cost you $900 in Compton. It was designated a tax to cover pensions with a varying schedule. However, due to Prop 218 in 1996, the rate could no longer be changed without voter approval so it remains frozen at 0.48%.
www.theaviatorx.com
"Genius is persistence in disguise"

Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 AM

Well there ya go..... As I said, CA will suck you dry in taxes. Your plane pays for city pensions... And, the tax you pay renting the hangar, and the fuel tax (county, city, state and sales), and the pumping fees, and the use tax. It never ends and it's always more. Hide it.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
Well there ya go..... As I said, CA will suck you dry in taxes. Your plane pays for city pensions... And, the tax you pay renting the hangar, and the fuel tax (county, city, state and sales), and the pumping fees, and the use tax. It never ends and it's always more. Hide it.
I agree. And I plan to!

Here's the breakdown of my tax bill:
General Tax levy: $456
Voted indebtedness city of Compton: $205
Unified Schools: $55
Community Colleges: $10
Metro Water District: $1
Total Voted indebtedness: $273

Total: $729

And my full assessed value went up to $45,600. Where did they get the extra $3,600?? I paid $42K for it. I reported no additions/ modifications.

There's a number I can call for "questions and concerns" regarding my bill, but man what a hassle...

I'm having my cousin keep my plane for me in TX if I buy another one. He an fly it here as often as he wants, but he's keeping it!
Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM

And at some or maybe all airports in CA they charge you property tax on the hanger you RENT, was over 100 bucks a year some years ago, probably more now. I really miss the CA Bay area for the flying but 25 bucks a year to the state and 200 bucks month for a T-hanger here in the PHX area keeps me happy.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 PM

California - great place to visit. Couldn’t afford to live there. Oklahoma airplane tax $5.00!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyingyogi View Post
I agree. And I plan to!

And my full assessed value went up to $45,600. Where did they get the extra $3,600?? I paid $42K for it. I reported no additions/ modifications.
!
They value the plane at everything you paid for it - including the sales tax!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyingyogi View Post
...There's a number I can call for "questions and concerns" regarding my bill, but man what a hassle...
In my experience the Assessor will simply throw a number against the wall and see if it sticks... If you dont contest the assessment, it "stuck". Most times they will back off their number pretty significantly if you give them the slightest justification.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 05-23-2018, 10:36 PM

Mine's at TOA and is $500 general tax levy, unified schools $44, community college $10.60, metro water district $1.75 -- which is $557. At least it's deductible... well, it was anyway, who knows with the new tax law.

I had no idea CPM has that ridiculous extra fee!