What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Jettison Slots on top forward skin?

TCONROY

Well Known Member
For those of you with the tip-up canopy, did you cut the 1/4" wide slots in the F-771 top forward skin? I'm close to riveting that skin down and now would be a good time to cut the slots if I *need* them. I move the release latch to a vertical orientation like many others on here have done. With the tip-up struts installed, is jettisoning the canopy an unrealistic option? If I don't cut the slots in the forward skin, I would think the canopy could still be lifted slightly and moved aft so the hinge ears slide aft to depart the airplane.

I am with you, wondering the same thing. I figure for the flights where I wear a chute and want the option, disconnecting the struts is part of the checklist on the ground. I'll have plastic knobs on them so it is easy to do so without a screwdriver. As far as the slots in the skin, I am undecided. It wouldn't be too difficult to seal the cut slots with a special tape or fiberglass that can separate away easy enough, yet seal things. I need to experiment with options before I convince myself to do it though.

I do not believe the canopy can raised far enough to jettison while flying without the slots, it would need to be almost straight up especially if the seal is in place. With the slots you will get tons of rain though them. In the northwest? That is why I think we do not see slots except on the very early 6s with straight arms on the canopy instead of the goose neck style. Also the early canopy’s did not have lift struts which would have to be released to jettison.
Just my opinion. Larry

Last edited:
For the jettison feature the slots must be cut out.
Mine have been cut out since new, 21.5 years. I have them covered with the tape that the glider guys use to seal joints. No one has ever noticed them unless I point them out.
The tape needs to be replaced about every 3-5 years.

If you are not going to be wearing a chute during all flights I can't see the point of ever jettisoning the canopy, so don't bother cutting the slots. Install the mechanism though it makes it easier to remove the canopy for service.

I am in the same boat. About to install that skin and don't know what to do. If you don't cut them out, what is the point of ever wearing a parachute if it is impossible to get out? I like the tape idea. Maybe I'll do that.

I agree, there is no way I can think of to get the canopy to jettison unless the forward edge enters the slip stream. If you can get it into the slip stream, I doubt the struts will hold the canopy on (unless in a flat spin with no airspeed).

I don't understand why people make such a big deal of the struts, if the the wind gets under the canopy, those struts are going to pull out so fast you won't notice them.

I cut the slots on mine.if you contact a good heating and air contractor they have some really heavy duty metallic tape like they wrap the ducts with in your house. There are several favors of this tape. Some tissue paper and others a lot thicker.

I cut the tape 1/4 inch wider than the slot all the way around the cutout. When it came time to paint prepared the tape just as I did the aluminum. Used Prekote as an etch for the aluminum the primed it then the top coat. So far no issues. The tape is still there looking good.

Jack

Bottom line is that no one has ever jumped from a 6or 7 that I know of. I know from experience that it is alot harder to make a decision to jump than you think. Even with a chute, without actual jump experience, your not leaving. Fire is the only reason good enough to make you go. Better idea, dont do anything weird to you plane that will cause it to burn. My 2 cents. Terry.

I cut the slots on mine.if you contact a good heating and air contractor they have some really heavy duty metallic tape like they wrap the ducts with in your house. There are several favors of this tape. Some tissue paper and others a lot thicker.

I cut the tape 1/4 inch wider than the slot all the way around the cutout. When it came time to paint prepared the tape just as I did the aluminum. Used Prekote as an etch for the aluminum the primed it then the top coat. So far no issues. The tape is still there looking good.

Jack

Great idea! I may go this direction. I'd hate to corner myself because of two silly little slots that can easily be cut now and covered with either the white tape the glider guys are using or the aluminum tape. Thanks!

Back