VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 PM

Default FREE Australian Airport Database for Dynon SkyView

Because I am a good-natured bloke (and get bored easily) I decided to work out a way to import all published Australian airports into SkyView - a process that was relatively painless using the DAH, Adobe and Excel once the KRviatrix showed me the way. However, as the VAF forum architecture doesn't allow uploading of files, you'll need to actually download them from the Dynon Forums, from my post over there... I figure most VAF'ers who are SkyView users will be members of both forums anyway.

Now, given there are many hundreds of Certified and Uncertified/ALA's in Australia, I cannot guarantee these are accurate inasmuch as I haven't screwed up something in the PDF-XLS conversion, but those in my immediate vicinity correlate perfectly with the OzRunways VTC overlay. That is my way of saying you use these files and the data therein at your own risk. If you get lost, that's your own fault, these are intended for situational awareness only.

Furthermore, I haven't been anal enough to go through and categorise each and every airport to their respective icon in SkyView. If it's a Certified airport, per the DAH, it gets a "Filled" icon, if it is a Uncertified aerodrome or an ALA, it gets a "Hollow" icon. Additionally, these will show up as User Waypoints in SkyView, so you need to have the "display user waypoints" option selected at a suitable map range to enable you to see them.

I will endeavour to keep these two files updated with each revision of the DAH unless AsA has a dummy spit, or I get tired of doing so. Anyway these are based on the November 2017 revision, with the next being due in May 2018. Eventually I might do the NavAids as well, but for now, here's the two airport files.

Happy Flying!

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.

Last edited by KRviator : 02-22-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 AM

Default 24 MAY DAH revision

So the new DAH goes live tomorrow, and that means new data. As ASA hasn't tried to pineapple me yet, I've updated the Certified, ALA and NavAid files with the data listed in the May 24 revision of the DAH, and uploaded them to the Dynon Forum for those who want them.

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM

...this is one more excuse for me to come to Australia and fly with you guys. My son is up in Taree right now. I think it would be wonderful to see that area by air!
RV-8, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2018
Old 05-27-2018, 03:39 AM

Here I was hoping it was for the G3X. I downloaded the DAH and started too.... argghh... maybe when I have time to set it up to work at the click of a button..

Haydn
Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 AM

I qualify this post by saying I do not have a Dynon system nor any system as I'm nowhere near that stage of my build, especially as it's on hold while I'm working in NZ.

Speaking with a member of my SAAA chapter about 12 months ago now who does have a Dynon system, my understanding was that Dynon now had all the Authorised Airservices Maps and data for their Skyview systems, giving full Australian maps, waypoints and airfield data.

It was this discussion that has me planning on Dynon instead of Garmin as I was originally planning. Happy to be corrected.
Building an RV-14 - No. 140239
EAA - #1130849
SAAA Chapter 22 - #08129
www.Rv-14A.net
www.facebook.com/iansrv14a
Old 05-28-2018, 10:07 PM

Dynon do indeed have the Australian Hybrid VFR maps available for purchase from OzRunways and AvPlan, but this doesn't include the aerodata, ie it is just a JPG-style image that is georeferenced and cannot be referenced for autopilot or flightplanning.

These waypoint files allow you to plug them into a Dynon flightplan and have the autopilot fly it along with HSI guidance.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnc View Post
Here I was hoping it was for the G3X. I downloaded the DAH and started too.... argghh... maybe when I have time to set it up to work at the click of a button..

Haydn
I had a quiet day at work today so in my spare time I tried my hand at making these files for the G3X too.

I do not have a G3X system, nor do I know anyone who does that I can beg/borrow or blackmail into testing these files for me, but nonetheless, based on a post from our resident g3expert fround here, I think I have the format correct to allow you to have the same airport list as those of us running SkyView.

Hopefully the good folk at Dynon don't mind too much that I've somewhat cheekily uploaded these two files to their own forums, but, if you have a G3X, you can download the ALA and Certified aerodrome files from my post at Dynon. Rename them to *.FPL format, then try importing them as a flightplan into your G3X and it 'should' save the waypoints in your system.

Good luck!