- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2019, 06:34 PM

Default ASPD LOW indication Dynon Autopilot

When I disconnect the autopilot (but leave it powered up) I frequently get an ASPD LOW indication when, for example, entering the pattern. It’s extremely annoying because it appears displayed right over the bank indicator. I kinda use that one during slow flight in the pattern! Anyone else have this and what do you do about it?
White Salmon, WA

2019 Donation Paid
Old 10-17-2019, 10:42 PM

Default ASPD Low

I have had the same issue and wonder why it happens.
Just passed 200 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a advancd Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 PM

I also get that in my RV-8 (with the SkyView Touch system) in the pattern (with AP Off) when the target altitude bug is set higher than the altitude I'm at and the airspeed is near 1.3 VS1 or less.

If the aircraft’s altitude drops below the target altitude bug and the autopilot cannot pitch the aircraft up without dropping below the "minimum airspeed", SkyView presents the prompt, even if the AP is not engaged. And the "minimum airspeed" cannot be set lower than 1.3VS1 (where VS1 is the flaps up stall speed).

See page 10-21 & 1-22 in the "System Installation Guide" for more info.

So for the RV-8, VS1 is equal to 64 MPH, and set to that in the Dynon system, and 1.3VS1 = 83.2 MPH. So when I fly at 80 to 85 MPH in the pattern and the target altitude bug is set higher than the altitude I'm at, the "ASPD LOW" warning appears. It is a little irritating, but it's there for AP operation, not a general low speed warning.

I think that after you punch off the AP and reset the target altitude to "0" or less than Field Elevation, it may not display the ASPD LOW warning. But I have not tried it yet.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-17-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 PM

Could be that a single push of the AP Disconnect button (the one next to the throttle) disconnects the AP servo connections but leaves the AP working in the background (i.e., the command bars are still depicted and working and the ASPD Low warning can appear). Double-push the AP Disconnect button and the entire AP system including command bars and ASPD Low warning is shut off. I'll have to double-check this on tomorrow's flight.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 840+ hours (as of Oct 2019)!
VAF donation through June 2020.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:01 PM

Default Bug

I have been able to reproduce this with all of the autopilot alerts as well. Not pictured, but you will notice if you switch to full screen the alert remains in the same location on the screen, but the turn coordinator moves to the center of the screen so it is no longer obscured.

It appears to be a bug in the user interface that was overlooked. I haven't found a way to make it go away other than to not turn on the autopilot at all during a flight.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 PM

David, let us know if the double click method works.
White Salmon, WA

2019 Donation Paid
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Need to press the AP disconnect button a second time within 1 second to turn off the Flight Director. From page 8-18 of the "Pilot's User Guide":
"Disengaging the Autopilot

When engaged:
• Press the autopilot disconnect switch once to disengage the servos while leaving the flight director active with all active and armed modes unchanged. Press the autopilot disconnect again within 1 second to turn the flight director off (regardless whether the autopilot was engaged)."
Hopefully the ASPD LOW warning then won't appear.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-23-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Need to press the AP disconnect button a second time within 1 second to turn off the Flight Director. From page 8-18 of the "Pilot's User Guide":
"Disengaging the Autopilot

When engaged:
• Press the autopilot disconnect switch once to disengage the servos while leaving the flight director active with all active and armed modes unchanged. Press the autopilot disconnect again within 1 second to turn the flight director off (regardless whether the autopilot was engaged)."
Hopefully the ASPD LOW warning then won't appear.
I flew today and pressing the AP disconnect button twice (within 1 second) turns off the AP and then the Flight Director. Without the Flight Director active, the ASPD LOW warning did not appear.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Old 10-23-2019, 11:55 PM

After you double-click the AP Disconnect you may see a yellow "SPD" warning depending on how you set up your AP speed limits. SkyView uses a yellow "SPD" indicator in the Top Bar to denote that the aircraft airspeed is outside of the specified autopilot airspeed range as specified during installation. When SPD is displayed in the Top Bar the autopilot cannot be engaged.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 840+ hours (as of Oct 2019)!
VAF donation through June 2020.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:13 PM

The Skyview Warning Messages covering the slip ball have been fixed and will be in the next production software release.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics