- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Default ADS-B In with Dynon 470 box and TFR displayed

We have had a local TFR for a fire in effect near the local airport for a week now. The airspace is rather complicated with Class C from KBUR with commercial flights, KVNY west of us 5 miles, and a surface to 070 TFR north of us in effect from the Saddleridge fire here in Los Angeles as well as the 30 mile Mode C veil of airspace around LAX.

Am I correct in understanding, that the Dynon SV 470 ADS-B In receiver and delta wing anntenna, while also showing "TIS Info available" with aircraft on the screen with orange lines, direction and altitude above or below us based on ground signals, should also alert us of NOTAMS and TFR's too, in red, as it does for sporting events at the Rose Bowl, purple lines for controlled B, C and D class airspace, as well as cloud covered areas?

Asking for a friend, as it's his RV-12 not mine, but from what I am reading on Dynon's website, it should be there? Is there a setting that we are missing that activates that stuff showing on the screen, somewhere in the menu, that needs to be changed?

In particular with ADS-B in, and TFRs as well as weather in the form of squalls and cloud cover density, is to be received and show up on the screen?

NOTAM TFR 9/6361 is the event, it's not showing on screen.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-23-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:18 PM

The SV-ADSB-470 ADS-B IN receiver (now discontinued in favor of the dual band -472) does show WX, Traffic, TFRs, etc., per this Dynon information page under the "Additional Information" tab:

https://dynonavionics.com/traffic-weather-adsb.php

I have the -470 connected to a SkyView Touch in my RV-8 and it shows what Dynon advertises.

Also, see page 7-26 of the Pilot's Guide for the Classic and Touch models.
"Weather is drawn on top of the charts when the WEATHER button is selected in the LAYERS menu."
and 7-79:
"When connected to an SV-ADSB-470/472 module, SkyView can display NEXRAD weather and Temporary flight Restriction (TFR) information visually on the SkyView map page. Additionally, textual METAR and TAF weather reports are available for airports that report such information.

The SV-ADSB-470/472 receives traffic and weather via the 978 MHz UAT ADS-B frequencies, which are only utilized by the FAA’s ADS-B system. Therefore, traffic and weather are only available in the US (and other places the FAA may have ADS-B ground stations, including Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands).

The SV- ADSB-470/472 will not work outside these areas, with the exception that the SV- ADSB-472 can receive air-to-air 1090 MHz ADS-B Out equipped aircraft wherever they might be encountered."
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 PM

"From page 7-26

Map Items on Charts

To reduce visual clutter on charts, map items from SkyView’s databases will only appear on top of a chart in some circumstances. Traffic, user waypoints and terrain warning colors will always appear on charts. Obstacles will be drawn in yellow and red on the charts when the aircraft altitude is within the warning range and flight plans will appear when Active.

With an SV-ADSB470/472 installed, TFRs appear on the charts.

Pilots can still select items for more information by selecting them with the map pointer (airports, airspaces, navaids, etc.) Weather is drawn on top of the charts when the WEATHER button is selected in the LAYERS menu."

Am I correct, then, in assuming that since we have the SV-ADSB470 installed, that, by default, TFR's should appear on the chart? There is no setting for this?

Or is "weather" "WX" tab required to be activated as well as "Local Airports" to get TFR's to show up? We see events like an orange donut around the Rosebowl, any time we fly even near it, but no TFR red area showed up for the fire area today? Is it something the Fire Dept needs to activate, or FAA, or the local airports, or who, that it shows up

The TFR did NOT show up today on the EFIS...

"TIS is Active" did show up on the screen, as well as numerous aircraft today, at least 15 planes and 7 helicopters in 35 minutes of flying time.

Sorry in advance, if I am having a comprehension problem with the owner's manual. I am not certain what all info wise that delta antenna receives or sends on the fuselage, the little stubby 3" 980 mhz antenna just behind the front cowling does and what info, if any is received on the GPS 2020 / mode C antenna, if it only transmits GPS signals out?

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-17-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM

Does ADS-B only show air controlled TFR's that are circular in shape, and not irregular shaped TFR's? If so, why? Due to terrain and wind, this Fire Fighting TFR is constantly changing and evolving in shape.

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_7863.html

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-17-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
Does ADS-B only show air controlled TFR's that are circular in shape, and not irregular shaped TFR's? If so, why? Due to terrain and wind, this Fire Fighting TFR is constantly changing and evolving in shape.

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_7863.html
No. Here is a screenshot from the SVT (with a -470 for ADS-B IN) in my RV-8 showing a non-circular shaped Fire TFR:

(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-18-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Clarified type of TFR shown
Old 10-17-2019, 11:28 PM

So, If I am receiving traffic, my ADSB In antenna and 470 are performing properly? Should I be receiving more than just "TIS Info Available" in the black box in the lower right hand side of the screen? We have never seen a "ADSB OK" show up, just "TIS info Available"

Nor have I ever seen the "ADSB STATUS RECEIVING" Box.

Suggestions on what might be the cause of this?

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Looks like a call to Dynon Technical Support is required with some walk through while "live" to get this unit up to snuff, one on one. Will post up results, hopefully, once it's resolved.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
So, If I am receiving traffic, my ADSB In antenna and 470 are performing properly? Should I be receiving more than just "TIS Info Available" in the black box in the lower right hand side of the screen? We have never seen a "ADSB OK" show up, just "TIS info Available"

Nor have I ever seen the "ADSB STATUS RECEIVING" Box.

Suggestions on what might be the cause of this?
The "ADSB STATUS" box should display when the WEATHER layer is on.

I see the "ADSB OK" message when with range of an ADSB ground station and also within range of ATC radar. I have seen "TIS INFO" message but rarely, perhaps that displays when out of range of a ADSB ground station.

Some things to think about and possibly discuss at your call to Dynon. I learn from these questions so please follow-up with your findings.

Last edited by Tony_T : 10-18-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Deleted statement regarding TIS, not sure I had it right.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 PM

OK, we will first try the "WX " switch highlighted and turned on, first, and see what we get.

Hopefully, that gets us somewhere.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
OK, we will first try the "WX " switch highlighted and turned on, first, and see what we get.

Hopefully, that gets us somewhere.
See page 7-84 of the Pilot's User Guide.

Also, an option under MAP MENU > MAP ITEMS > TFR OPACITY that allows pilots to change the opacity of TFRs. This can be used to tune the visibility of co-located TFRs and underlying map features.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.