Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
I personally wouldn't build a -12. It is probably the "least good" aircraft VANS has designed.
Wow, that's quite a statement there. I think Van himself has a preference for the 12. I read where he flew a 12 to commute to work each day.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-16-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Might be heresy here, but if that is your mission seriously consider a Bearhawk Bravo. That's my latest build and it is one awesome aeroplane.

Caution, thread drift.

The Bearhawk Bravo is a 2+0 aircraft and doesn't meet the requirement of seating three or four people. Plus, it will be slow, I don't need to land in 200 feet. RV-9 landing and takeoff distances with at least 150 mph cruise would be great.

One more thing, the Bearhawk kits tend to be over priced, when compared to the RV kits.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 10-16-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Caution, thread drift.

The Bearhawk Bravo is a 2+0 aircraft and doesn't meet the requirement of seating three or four people. Plus, it will be slow, I don't need to land in 200 feet. RV-9 landing and takeoff distances with at least 150 mph cruise would be great.

One more thing, the Bearhawk kits tend to be over priced, when compared to the RV kits.
Methinks you need to do a bit more research into what the Bearhawk can do. It is a true 4-seater with at least the same payload as a -10. Granted, it's slower - maybe 120-130 kts cruise

As for the price, you have to compare to the quickbuild RV kits ..... I think my build cost is going to come in somewhere around a RV14 - certainly well less than my -10

As always, each to their own. If VANS offered something similar, I would probably have gone with that. But they don't ......
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made

Last edited by paul330 : 10-16-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Wow, that's quite a statement there. I think Van himself has a preference for the 12. I read where he flew a 12 to commute to work each day.
There have been some serious SBs issued for the -12. My AP friend who works on all the RV types says he really doesn't like working on the -12. I'm not saying it's a bad aeroplane but it wouldn't be my choice. All the other types come from the same, proven design school. The -12 was different and I don't think it worked out so well. 12i is maybe what it should have been to start with.

Just my opinion. Don't want to start a war
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Well, if you want wallet-friendly, don't build one at all. Buy a flying one instead. None of the RV's i've seen lately, with the exception of some real award-winners, are selling for more than the cost to build. Many are significantly cheaper than the cost to build a new RV.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:09 AM

If we're talking factory bought kits (not 2nd hand) and all factory new equipment and panel, I don't think you'll be able to finish any Vans kit cheaper than a 12. The 12 will be among the cheapest to fly and own.

In addition, the 12 is probably the quickest and easiest to build of all the Vans kits. As far as seating position, My wife and I with our particular aging backs and knees found the 12 easier to get in and out of than the 9 or the 14 that we sat in. Once inside it was more comfortable than any 172 I've ever flown or 182 for that matter.
Need a wing kit
Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
....I personally wouldn't build a -12. It is probably the "least good" aircraft VANS has designed. Maybe the 12i is better ......
Different folks have different goals, don't we now?

I'm building a -3B slowbuild, fly a C180, and would like to have a -12Is. For that matter, I'd enjoy building one. My only gripe with it is that someone forgot which end of the plane the third wheel goes.

Dave
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
My only gripe with it is that someone forgot which end of the plane the third wheel goes.
They were just holding the page upside down when they got to that part of the design process so it ended up on the wrong end.
Need a wing kit
Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Research and Sourcing

You may know this already, but when people talk about "build times" they are referring to times actually spent in the shop working on the plane.

I would suggest that the research and parts sourcing will double the build time.

If it's a 2000 hour build, you will spend another 2000 on learning, ordering parts, re-ordering, returning parts, buying the same parts again, watching how-to videos, surfing forums and creating spreadsheets and budgets.

All this non-shop time was not something I was personally prepared for.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Wink Get in each one

Back to the OP. I highly, HIGHLY recommend both sitting in and flying the models you are interested in. Visit the mothership or have someone take you up in theirs.

Many thanks to this forum and members that have passed the torch and helped others in the process.