Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-15-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
More than one -14 builder I spoken with have dropped north of $150K on their builds and got to the point where they had wished they were building a -10.

The -10 flies like a heavy RV but still much more direct and balanced than say a Bonanza.

The -7 and -9 share basically the same fuselage, vertical, and rudder. The wings and HS are different. The -9 has a 28' wing span vs. 25 for the -7. The -9 has a unique airfoil that no other RV uses, not even the -10. The -9 also has slotted flaps that help lower the stall speed over the -7 by almost 10 knots. The -9 is much better balanced on the controls than the short wing RV's.

The -12 is a delight to fly. If your mission is to fly an hour a day, every day, and take an occasional long trip at speeds slightly faster than a Skyhawk, this is your plane. It has better visibility than the others and more shoulder room than the -9.
Thanks for this! Sounds kind of like the 10 is a great all around very versatile bird. The 12 sounds like the nice little daily flier, and the 9 sounds like a great 2 people XC machine.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaylor2007 View Post
Thanks for this! Sounds kind of like the 10 is a great all around very versatile bird. The 12 sounds like the nice little daily flier, and the 9 sounds like a great 2 people XC machine.
One other thing, the one downside to all the RV's, except the -10 is that you are sitting in a bucket and older passengers may not be able to get out of them easily. (Or you, as you age.)

If you ever think you want to do acro, then the -14 is a large cross country two seater.

It really comes down to what you want to do. I find I fly my -9 like a fast Super Cub but would really like a four seater, not the -10 because I would be uncomfortable taking that to the same places take my taildragger -9. I really want a fast 2+2 Cessna 170 built from a Van's kit. Oh, and to keep costs in line, it should be powered by any four cylinder engine from an 150 hp O-320 to a 210 hp IO-400. Sorry, just me dreaming again.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 10-15-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:26 PM

If you wanna play Air Force/Navy fighter pilot, AND your wife doesn't much care about flying, get an 8 or a 4. (Tandem seats) If, on the other hand, she is going to fly a lot with you, get a side by side, which is all the others (other than an 8 or a 4) Oh,and I almost forgot, the 3 is a single seater.

(As you can see, I like playing fighter pilot, AND my wife hates airplanes)

Last edited by donaziza : 10-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
If you wanna play Air Force/Navy fighter pilot, AND your wife doesn't much care about flying, get an 8 or a 4. (Tandem seats) If, on the other hand, she is going to fly a lot with you, get a side by side, which is all the others (other than an 8 or a 4) Oh,and I almost forgot, the 3 is a single seater.

(As you can see, I like playing fighter pilot, AND my wife hates airplanes)
Luckily my wife loves to fly. She survived a hot & bumpy 4 hour XC in a pokey 172 a few years back, and didn't even complain once. The acro doesn't appeal to me too much, but honestly I only have a smidge of experience with it.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
One other thing, the one downside to all the RV's, except the -10 is that you are sitting in a bucket and older passengers may not be able to get out of them easily. (Or you, as you age.)

If you ever think you want to do acro, then the -14 is a large cross country two seater.

It really comes down to what you want to do. I find I fly my -9 like a fast Super Cub but would really like a four seater, not the -10 because I would be uncomfortable taking that to the same places take my taildragger -9. I really want a fast 2+2 Cessna 170 built from a Van's kit. Oh, and to keep costs in line, it should be powered by any four cylinder engine from an 150 hp O-320 to a 210 hp IO-400. Sorry, just me dreaming again.
If Vans decided to do some sort of high-wing, off-field, 4 place type of airframe, I wouldn't even be having to try and decide on what to build.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:43 PM

To the OP, please remember that different people building the various different models will all have different experiences. A kit like a -12 will need less unexpected things than the others, just as a -10 will involve perhaps more fiberglass than the others. Each has its own characteristics.

For example, mine is a -3B, and that means more fabrication than some of the others; my own experience reflects that.

Dave
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 PM

Default 2 years and $88,000 (unpainted)

I was going to build a 14 but was concerned that it would be too hard as a first airplane build, so I went with a 12iS. I'm glad I did because it was a lot harder than I thought. Of that two years, about 6 months was waiting on kits from Vans. I recommend ordering the next kit or two as early as you can afford it. You could do it for less by going with the ULS engine (-$5000), single display (-$4000), skip the autopilot, knob and button modules, ADSB out, and wheelpants but I don't regret buying any of those.

I enjoyed the building and think about doing another one, maybe a 10 but I worry about cost and time to build.

Also, the 12 is fun and easy to fly and very economical. I never worry about the cost of fuel with this airplane. Now, filling 5 gallon gas cans with clear premium and driving them to the airport is a bit of a hassle, but it's better for the Rotax so I do it whenever I can.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 AM

Another consideration is engine longevity. The RV-12 Rotax has a proven track record for dependability and low maintenance cost. Liquid cooling prevents thermal shock and overheating. I attended Rotax’s maintenance seminar at KOSH this year. The instructor stated that 2000TT engines show very little wear and are often reassembled with parts measuring within wear limits. Oil change interval can be 100 hours when operating with mogas and oil usage is virtually nil. And even the carbureted 912 operates single-lever just like a FADEC.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaylor2007 View Post
If Vans decided to do some sort of high-wing, off-field, 4 place type of airframe, I wouldn't even be having to try and decide on what to build.
Might be heresy here, but if that is your mission seriously consider a Bearhawk Bravo. That's my latest build and it is one awesome aeroplane.

I personally wouldn't build a -12. It is probably the "least good" aircraft VANS has designed. Maybe the 12i is better ...... On the other hand, it is probably the simplest to put together if this is your first build.
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 10-16-2019, 06:14 AM

If building isn't your goal (flying is) and assuming it meets your mission, the -12's have the advantage of being readily available as new or nearly-new airplanes at kit cost or less depending on build quality, age, and equipment. There are high school programs around the country that build them with the intention to sell when completed, and the work (from what I've seen) is usually good. There are also new and (occasionally) used SLSA's (factory built RV-12s) around which cost more than the others but are very well built for reasonable prices (at least compared to certified or other SLSA airplanes).

Flying and building RV's can be addictive. I started flying again after a 20-year layoff in 2015 with an RV-12 SLSA. I moved from there to a Bonanza and then built an RV-14A which I'm flying now. A buddy (who owns a Bonanza and is now in week of 5 of his annual from ****) and I are seriously considering building an RV-10 together.