VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Question about Airspace and ADSB

I've been flying for about 7 or 8 years and recently bought a VFR RV-6. I've done some long cross country trips in other airplanes and still plan to do so in the RV. As I've considered upgrading my panel (and been subject to the associated sticker shock), I'm thinking seriously about just installing a nice portable GPS and leaving it at that.

My question is, do I really need ADSB out? In 8 years, I've never landed Class B, and only once Class C. When I fly Mass to Myrtle Beach, it will take a little doing to avoid the airspace where ADSB is required, but it's not an outrageous detour in my opinion. And I can use North MB or Conway instead of MB. Navigating around the NY, Philly, DC area is the biggest challenge, but not impossible.

One thing that worries me is something I read on another thread which implied that I won't be able to get flight following without ADSB....is that true?

Purchased July 2019: RV-6 0320 Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop
Old 10-06-2019, 10:54 AM

There really are low cost ADSB options out there now. Personally I consider ADSB in a huge safety benefit.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotjim77 View Post
My question is, do I really need ADSB out? In 8 years, I've never landed Class B, and only once Class C. When I fly Mass to Myrtle Beach, it will take a little doing to avoid the airspace where ADSB is required, but it's not an outrageous detour in my opinion. And I can use North MB or Conway instead of MB. Navigating around the NY, Philly, DC area is the biggest challenge, but not impossible.

One thing that worries me is something I read on another thread which implied that I won't be able to get flight following without ADSB....is that true?
ADSB out is a big safety advantage. Remember the mode C veils are 30nm and you wonít be able to go inside that. Really makes East coast flying much harder without ADSB out.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 10-06-2019, 11:15 AM

My flying is very much like the OP. Iíve installed ADSB in my -8 project mainly to enable flights above 10,000í. I plan some flights out west and would like to be higher that over the terrain. In the east, I think I can get along without it. Wish the FAA had only required at same altitude that O is then I donít think I would have needed it and stuck with a xponder.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Default ADS-B

Install an inexpensive ADS-B. I have an Echo UAT under the floorboard with a UAT antenna under the right wing root. Although I'm IFR capable I fly VFR since I found instrument currency too hard to maintain (I'm based at IYK in the middle of nowhere - in the sunshine-prone Mojave Desert).

The greatest advantage of ADS-B is the ability to see other traffic. I am continually amazed at the number of unseen targets that show up within range.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:26 AM

I second the safety aspect. When virtually everyone else has ADSB "in", human nature being what it is might make people less attentive looking for aircraft that don't show up on the screen.

Also, the biggest detriment for me would be the inability to fly above 10k. Granted, I do live in the west, but even when I'm over sea level areas I fly all X/C's at 11k-14k.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:55 AM

This might be a good option. It provides ADSB in and out and WAAS GPS and Bluetooth to your personal device, phone, iPad, etc.. You can use apps on your personal devices for all sorts of navigation features that will display info from this ADSB/GPS unit. It pretty much replaces the need for a portable aviation gps and you’ll see traffic and weather.

$1500 and it works with mode C transponders. You would need to add the cost of the apps.

I did a quick google search and didn’t see where flight following won’t be offered to non-ADSB aircraft.

http://grtavionics.com/home/ads-b-so...ionix-echouat/
Old 10-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
My question is, do I really need ADSB out?
Also consider that as people get used to ADSB traffic they will stop looking out the window as much and if you're one of the few that isn't transmitting out and you are in an area with no uplink those folks may not see you. I'd want them to see me.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 10-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotjim77 View Post
FWIW: Flight follow has always been, and always will be, available only if the controller's workload permits it. If a controller is busy and you dont have ADSB the odds of being denied Flight follow increases so I personally have it. But it is your decision to equip or not.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 10-06-2019, 12:42 PM

^^^What bkervaski said ^^^ Do it for your fellow aviators.