Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Default Looking for a CFII in SE with 50hrs RV-10?

Trying to get back in the air after some medical issues - Airport this morning to sit in my AC and get reaquainted with my checklist/panel/etc... also actually read my renewed insurance policy this morning to just make sure. The clause below surprised me!

Pasted Below:

"(Covered)Pilots:"

"K Owen, holding an FAA Private Pilot Certificate with FAA Instrument Rating(that's me). Prior to solo operations, K Owen, must log two (2) hours of dual instruction from an FAA Certified Flight Instructor who meets the requirements shown below.(OK, 2 hours, that's reasonable since I've not flown since 06/2018)(it goes on to say)"

"Any pilot holding an FAA Private or Commercial Pilot Certificate with FAA Instrument Rating who has logged a minimum of 750 hours as Pilot in Command, 50 hours of which have been logged in a(n) Vans RV-10."

CFII and 50 hours.... Really? This is proving difficult to find locally thus far...

Checking local flight schools now, but, don't most flight schools fly certified A/C?
Also hunting down my insurance agent...

I thought I would put out the request.... Thanks for looking.

Located: KCNI

PM
RV- 8, N297DW, (sold)
RV- 8, Build in progress

VAF 2018 Donation
Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 PM

Ken, call Vic.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Ken, call Vic.
Thanks Dan,
We have gone back and forth a few times, but Vic is slammed. His schedule is really full. I thought I would see if there may be someone that could fly sooner.
RV- 8, N297DW, (sold)
RV- 8, Build in progress

VAF 2018 Donation
Old 09-28-2019, 12:53 PM

I donít see in the quote from your insurance company that the individual must be a CFII.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALagonia View Post
I donít see in the quote from your insurance company that the individual must be a CFII.
Yea, I had to read it a few times.... the 1st para says CFI and they add the Inst in the 2nd .... strange, but thatís how I was reading it....
RV- 8, N297DW, (sold)
RV- 8, Build in progress

VAF 2018 Donation
Old 09-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Pierre Smith?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 09-28-2019, 03:44 PM

You wonít find RVs at flight schools because they cannot legally be rented out, as is true for all EAB aircraft.

It looks to me like the underwriter got lazy, and simply defaulted to your Ďopen pilotí warrantee.
Suggestion 1: Find a CFI with at least 10 hrs RV10 time. Submit his/her qualifications to your agent, see if they will approve him or her.
Suggestion 2: Ask Dave Mailb, heís not too far away, in FL.
Last resort: Iíd do it. But Iíd ask for airfare to/from the west coast ($$).
Old 09-28-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjowen View Post
Yea, I had to read it a few times.... the 1st para says CFI and they add the Inst in the 2nd .... strange, but thatís how I was reading it....
As I said, this looks like standard verbiage for the open pilot clause. ĎInstrument ratingí does not mean cfii. These days all airplane cfiís except a few really old guys (!) have an instrument rating. Itís been a requirement for quite some time.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:36 PM

Default INSURANCE on RV-10

As I read this thread I have to remind myself: It only says You may not be covered by your insurance company IF, IF, IF something does not go well before you can meet their requirements. It does not say you can NOT fly your own aircraft. It does not say you are NOT qualified to fly your personally owned favorite make & model, it is really saying just go get the experience and training, (if available), get a sign off in your personal log that you have it and then if something happens after, your incident may be covered. (Maybe?) What I disagree with is the requirement being defined down to a "Model" instead of FAA's "Category", "Class" or "Type" such as "Land or "Sea", or maybe they can use Single Engine Tailwheel or Tricycle Gear, but defining to Model level? In my case I befriended an excellent CFII (Catmandu) with plenty RV6A, RV9A, and RV10 experience and we put in the dual and solo time efforts with enough hours to be comfortable to report to my insurance company that I already have met your predicted requirements. They agreed.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:23 AM

Ken,

Have you never flown your airplane? It seems if youíve flown it, and have 2 hours of dual at any time in it, youíre covered.

If youíve never flown it, then find the instructor you want to use, submit them to the underwriter, and if itís a reasonable request, itíll probably be granted.