Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
For a better understanding, how long is a "long duration" extended climb? Are we talking less than 2 minutes? I usually try to get 600 ft AGL at 75 kts before lowering the angle of attack with the nose down a little bit to make 85 or 90 mph for rest of climb out, in almost all situations.

from my previous post......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
With less than 4 gallons, doing a go around and climbing to pattern altitude it would not be a problem either.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Just some rough guesstimate numbers here…. The baffle reservoir at the tank drain I’m guessing might hold ½ gallon of fuel. The baffles have small drain holes which equalize fuel level on each side of the baffle. Level attitude on the ground with a few gallons in the tank will completely fill the baffle reservoir and when the nose is pitched up in climb the reservoir will start out full and very slowly drain back into the main volume of the tank. In the meantime you at using 6-7 GPH fuel flow at 100% power in the climb so 0.5 gallon / 7 GPH x 60 min/hr ≈ 4.5 minutes runtime. And 4.5 min at even 500 FPM > 2000 AGL. Returning to level flight will again allow fuel to fill the baffle reservoir to restart the process.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H