VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 PM

The RV12 was built in North Texas near Fort Worth. That price is pretty good for all the gear and avionics that comes with it. Especially since it is ADSB compliant. It is an EAB! If everything is in good working order and the logbooks are clean then its worth every penny of 70K. Service bulletins and ADs are not required to be completed on EABs. I would ask if the AD on the elevator was Completed. Also ask if all the rubber parts have been replaced. Every 5 years that needs to be done.
Good Luck.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 10-02-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Rules
Old 10-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Since it's EAB, a Sport Pilot can't fly it legally. So it's competing with all other EAB's. I would rather spend $70K on an RV4 or 6 than a relatively low performance EAB RV12. To me RV12 registered as EAB reduces value since the market for the RV12 is to those confined to the Sport Pilot license.

Last edited by Flynfrfun : 10-04-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynfrfun View Post
Since it's EAB, a Sport Pilot can't fly it legally. So it's competing with all other EAB's. I would rather spend $70K on an RV4 or 6 than a relatively low performance EAB RV12. To me RV12 registered as EAB reduces value since the market for the RV12 is to those confined to the Sport Pilot license.
I not sure that is correct. As I understand even if it is E-AB it is still a LSA as long as it meets all the LSA criteria. Not modified to change speeds, addition of a CS prop etc. performed that sets it outside a LSA.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Took a rare trip yesterday that was a bit long, from KWHP to KHND, to get some practice in McCarren Class B airspace. Nice tail wind for a free ride there at 9500ft, about 20 -25 kts, and a low and slow flight back against a 7 to 10 kt head wind. About 3 gallons left in the fuel tank at Barstow Daggett, a big military base runway that's waaaay long, with $6 a gal 100LL. We didn't have enough left in the tank to make another 30 kts to KAPV where is was $4.29. Seems the orig RV-12 has about 15 to 16 gals usable out of 20 gals, and steep go arounds climbing out could be risky, sucking air instead of fuel on the climb, if it's too steep. The 12 IS fuel tank is a nice improvement. N836BL if you want to look it up on Flight Aware.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynfrfun View Post
Sorry, but that is not at all correct. A Sport Pilot, OR a Private or above flying with Sport Pilot privileges (in other words, with a lapsed but not denied medical), can fly anything that meets the limitations of a light sport airplane. 120 knots max cruise at sea level, two seats max, 1320# max gross (unless it's a seaplane), fixed gear, fixed pitch, max stall speed 45 kt. There is NO restriction on whether it needs to be E-LSA, S-LSA, EAB, or produced under a type certificate.

Since it's E-AB, yes, you will need an A&P to sign off on the condition inspection. Like any other Experimental, including E-LSA, anyone can legally perform any maintenance, repairs, or modifications on the plane, without the requirement for an A&P for anything other than the condition inspection. The A&P does not need to have an IA. Whether that helps or hurts the value is in the eye of the buyer.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 10-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the correction Scott. Now that I think about it you are right. I believe Ercoupes and others are able to be flown by Sport Pilots.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
Seems the orig RV-12 has about 15 to 16 gals usable out of 20 gals
Not true. Vintage RV-12 fuel tank design is 100% usable fuel. You can run it down to the last drop. POH stipulates minimum of 4 gallons for takeoff so tank does not un-port during climb.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-05-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Not true. Vintage RV-12 fuel tank design is 100% usable fuel. You can run it down to the last drop. POH stipulates minimum of 4 gallons for takeoff so tank does not un-port during climb.
How is that going to help you if you botch a landing at an unfamiliar airport and have to do a go around, with 4 gallons or less of fuel?
Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
How is that going to help you if you botch a landing at an unfamiliar airport and have to do a go around, with 4 gallons or less of fuel?
With 4 gallons, it is not a problem. It meets the minimum requirement.

With less than 4 gallons, doing a go around and climbing to pattern altitude it would not be a problem either.

This has been well proven by the operational history of the RV-12 fleet with well over 650 aircraft completed and flown and multiple 10’s of thousands of hours flown with no report of an engine stoppage because of a low fuel level.

The reason for the limitation is that a takeoff, with a long duration extended climb at max angle of attack, could empty the baffled fuel pick-up portion of the fuel tank and starve the engine.

The reason for the generic “No Take-off” statement is that what the airplane does immediately after take off is an unknown. Adding the limitation accounts for the unknown aspect of the airplanes operations.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
With 4 gallons, it is not a problem. It meets the minimum requirement.

With less than 4 gallons, doing a go around and climbing to pattern altitude it would not be a problem either.

This has been well proven by the operational history of the RV-12 fleet with well over 650 aircraft completed and flown and multiple 10’s of thousands of hours flown with no report of an engine stoppage because of a low fuel level.

The reason for the limitation is that a takeoff, with a long duration extended climb at max angle of attack, could empty the baffled fuel pick-up portion of the fuel tank and starve the engine.

The reason for the generic “No Take-off” statement is that what the airplane does immediately after take off is an unknown. Adding the limitation accounts for the unknown aspect of the airplanes operations.
For a better understanding, how long is a "long duration" extended climb? Are we talking less than 2 minutes? I usually try to get 600 ft AGL at 75 kts before lowering the angle of attack with the nose down a little bit to make 85 or 90 mph for rest of climb out, in almost all situations.