Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-27-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
You should be VERY cautious with someone who says they can paint a plane in a day! Best to run, not walk from that. MAYBE you could spray it in one day fully assembled, but paint is ALL about the prep and I promise you it will be more than one day for that.

Larry
I think he might have been referring to the horizontal stab SB? But from what I have heard, it usually takes about 15hrs to complete. Might have buy the friend a couple of steak and egg breakfasts instead of biscuits and gravy
Old 09-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
You should be VERY cautious with someone who says they can paint a plane in a day! Best to run, not walk from that. MAYBE you could spray it in one day fully assembled, but paint is ALL about the prep and I promise you it will be more than one day for that.

Larry
Going to try for an unpainted bird, because of this! Also a good experience to learn how to properly drill out old rivets, and install and pull new rivets, without building a whole bird. Have to do the 16 hr class too, so I can do my own inspections.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:41 PM

KatanaPilot,
I sent you a private message.
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2019
Old 09-28-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
An airplane, like everything else, is worth what someone is willing to pay. Supply and demand. Expensive toy – yes, but hopefully, if you don’t bend it, you can recoup a significant amount of your investment when you’re ready to put down the spoon. The other way to look at this is to amortize the cost over number years of ownership. So, you pay more for a pretty pristine ship with a couple of added bells and whistles…. In the end the added cost is pennies on the dollar.

In my case, I bought a flying RV-12 from the original builder with 48TT four years ago. I did significant work to make the airplane to my liking including extensive SB’s. No big deal. I now have almost 500 hours of pure enjoyment flying this wonderful machine. Almost every hour has been spent with someone sitting in the right seat taking in the view. Most recently, my daughter-in-law has agreed to allow my 10-year-old triplet granddaughters to fly with me. Wow, what an experience. So, I ask myself, what is that worth?

Airplanes retain value unlike a car or a boat. Just do it, have fun, share the enjoyment with others, and when you’re done pass it along to the next custodian.
Great post . . . and sound advice, Jim.
Thank you.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynfrfun View Post
I don't own an RV12, but have been following the market for a while. Big ticket things that affect price to me are:

-Are all SB done? Some are very expensive to pay to have done unless your friend is capable of doing them. I think the horizontal stab SB would cost about $1500 or so to have done.

-Where are the hoses in the 5yr lifecycle on the Rotax? If it needs it now, factor approx. $3K or more to pay to have it done.

-Honestly the hours on the Rotax are less meaningful to me since I've heard so many times that when they are overhauled the internals are very close to new. It still matters but counts less than the hours on a Lycoming when I consider value. Thats just my opinion though.

-Are the logs all there and complete?

-Unpainted to me loses $10K value since I would want paint. Also, goofy paint schemes that only the builder could love lose value since it will be harder to sell later.

With all that in mind, seems the market right now is anywhere between $55 to $65K for the average decent 12 that is current on SB and nothing big to spend $ on.
Thoughts and opinions on the paint scheme on this RV-12 for sale.... why you would or wouldn't buy it or make an offer on it.

I don't think I'd be interested in someone else's name on my RV-12. Nor did I serve in Navy. All IMHO, of course.

Last edited by rv7boy : 10-02-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Please read the rules
Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 PM

I like the custom throttle quadrant a lot. Hopefully, you can remove the pilot’s name without having to repaint. The avionics are a bit different than a typical ELSA RV-12, but it looks well equipped. Is this one E/A-B? The paint scheme wouldn’t be my first choice, but overall, I think the plane looks pretty nice.

VAF donation made for 2019
Old 10-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9builder View Post
I like the custom throttle quadrant a lot. Hopefully, you can remove the pilot’s name without having to repaint. The avionics are a bit different than a typical ELSA RV-12, but it looks well equipped. Is this one E/A-B? The paint scheme wouldn’t be my first choice, but overall, I think the plane looks pretty nice.
FAA says E-AB build.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-01-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
FAA says E-AB build.
I wonder if that affects the price? It seems like most 12s are registered ELSA.

VAF donation made for 2019
Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Default If it's registered EAB only builder can perform maint.

According to FAA regs, just confirmed with FAA officials at Oshkosh 2019, if the plane is EAB a new owner will never be able to perform condition inspection unless he is an A&P. Going to the 16 hour "light sport repairman" school only works for ELSA.
LAPD helicopter pilot, retired
RV6A, RV12 (non-builder)
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Ninerbikes. That is a nice 12. I have not served in the military. But I asked a Navy friend once if it would be cheesy of me to buy a plane with a military paint scheme. I would likely have a lot of people ask if I served and would have to sheepishly say “no”. His response was “Don't you support the military?” My reply was a resounding YES! He said when asked the question just say no I didn't serve but support those who do.

Last edited by Flynfrfun : 10-01-2019 at 11:27 PM.