VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Cockpit Fire Extinguisher

I am looking into what type of fire extinguisher I should have on board. I am looking into a small Halon Fire Extinguisher. Is there any thoughts, ideas or consensus on the best option?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 AM

This is the one I see most often and I use - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ges/a344tc.php
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM

I am using the H3R FIRE EXTINGUISHER MODEL A344T which is the same as the model above but in Red which I like better, it is cheaper and with being red easier to identify and won't get nearly as hot in a RV cockpit.
Dues paid
Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Stay away from the A400!!

STAY AWAY FROM THE A400!! Spruce still sells the H3R A400 model which is the smallest Halon extinguisher you can get. There is no gauge on it and no provision to service it. They claim a 9 year shelf life and once a year you check the extinguisher by weight. Well this year I found mine to be empty during my 4th CI, well short of the 9 year mark. I contacted H3R and they told me it was a known issue and that they had stopped selling these units several years ago. They also mentioned that there had been two known explosions of these units, both in helicopters in Canada. Even so, many of these are still available through multiple vendors to include Spruce. Despite my unit being past their warranty period they were nice enough to give me a discount on a new A344 unit. Much sturdier, you can have this unit serviced and refilled, gauge makes it easy to check and the bracket fits the same screw holes as the A400. The unit is slightly larger but still fits the same spot in my -8. The only down side in my case is that the top now covers a power port Iíve got. Got plenty of room to relocate it, just have not yet. The A344 unit comes painted in red or they have a chromed out bottle too for a bit more $$.

Good discussion at this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=Extinguisher

Here too:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...e+extinguisher
Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26

Last edited by Carlos151 : 09-11-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Default A344's

Just bought two A344's for the new 7. Now I've got to figure out where to mount them!!! Small, compact units that look good.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Default FWF extinguisher...

... not to hijack this thread, but in addition to the cockpit extinguishers discussed here, any recommendations for extinguishers plumbed into the FWF?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos151 View Post
STAY AWAY FROM THE A400!! Spruce still sells the H3R A400 model which is the smallest Halon extinguisher you can get. There is no gauge on it and no provision to service it. They claim a 9 year shelf life and once a year you check the extinguisher by weight. Well this year I found mine to be empty during my 4th CI, well short of the 9 year mark. I contacted H3R and they told me it was a known issue and that they had stopped selling these units several years ago. They also mentioned that there had been two known explosions of these units, both in helicopters in Canada. Even so, many of these are still available through multiple vendors to include Spruce. Despite my unit being past their warranty period they were nice enough to give me a discount on a new A344 unit. Much sturdier, you can have this unit serviced and refilled, gauge makes it easy to check and the bracket fits the same screw holes as the A400. The unit is slightly larger but still fits the same spot in my -8. The only down side in my case is that the top now covers a power port I’ve got. Got plenty of room to relocate it, just have not yet. The A344 unit comes painted in red or they have a chromed out bottle too for a bit more $$.

Good discussion at this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=Extinguisher

Here too:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...e+extinguisher
Agreed, stay away from the A400. In my case, I found the plastic cap/actuator would pop off while the unit was nested in the cradle. Just what you want in an emergency. A can of Halon with no actuator on top. Get a full metal jacket
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.

Last edited by rzbill : 09-11-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam View Post
... any recommendations for extinguishers plumbed into the FWF?
I installed a 3/8" soft aluminum "spray bar" about 6" in front of the firewall at the top. It's above the gascolator, boost pump, mechanical fuel pump, and oil cooler. I plumbed it back to a fitting on the far right of the instrument panel that will accept my halon fire extinguisher. I also installed a temp probe (meat thermometer) in there so I would know I had a fire. I hope I never have to use it.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Default maintenance

I have an H3R A344 that has been in the cockpit for 10 years. Gauge still shows full charge.

Do I really need to get it "maintained"? What would change that would benefit from maintenance when the gauge still shows full charge?

Can maintenance of H3R halon fire extinguishers be performed by local fire extinguisher servicing companies?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 580
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Jan 2019
Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
I have an H3R A344 that has been in the cockpit for 10 years. Gauge still shows full charge.

Do I really need to get it "maintained"? What would change that would benefit from maintenance when the gauge still shows full charge?

Can maintenance of H3R halon fire extinguishers be performed by local fire extinguisher servicing companies?
According to the local fire extinguisher servicing company guy that I spoke to at length...

In a word, no. He says as long as the gauge shows in the green (that is, no the thing isn't leaking), you're good to go.