- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Default External Power to Use Avionics with Engine Off

Iím a new RV-12 owner and am still learning the features of the planeís Dynon Skyview HDX. I have a battery charger that I was able to use, with the engine off, when the plane was in a hangar that had 120 volt electricity. The plane is now tied down outdoors in a spot that does not have electricity. What do any of you use to power your avionics without an accessible 120 volt outlet?
VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-29-2019, 10:24 PM

Don't you start your engine up? Another option would be a 80w 12v solar panel with a 14.4v charge controller, put it in the cigarette lighter ?Power supply outlet. Good for about 4 amps

Otherwise, watch Skyview HDX videos on YouTube to learn how, without being in the plane. Or take someone else up with you while letting them fly, while you work with the Skyview. I'm not that far from you, in SFV, but it's been hotter than hades lately for flying. Come pick me up at VNY or WHP, traffic on the 405 is too brutal anymore to get to Santa Monica. I've got about 40 hrs now flying with a Skyview 1000 Touch, they are close enough to the HDX. Is your firmware up to date and current? 15.4.7 Aug 15 2019, I think?

Last edited by NinerBikes : 08-29-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:16 AM

I just ordered a Garmin GNC 355 (back ordered), they have a great training app available. See if a similar type thing is out there for the Skyview, or as others suggest there are videos online.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 250+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I use an MJF 25 amp power supply with adjustable voltage. It is good for checking other things at lower voltage too. It is dead quiet for radio work too.

It is used for demo modes and hangar flying, also database and software installations.

Here is a 25 amp model, MJF has others.

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produ...tid=MFJ-4035MV
Thanks for this recommendation. The online description says it needs to be plugged in to a 120 volt socket ó something I no longer have available near my plane. Have you figured out how to provide it with input power that doesnít require a nearby electrical socket?
VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Battery and jumper cables, charge it when you get back to hanger.
Also safer for avionics than a cheap high ripple battery charger.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 08-30-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:46 AM

You can always use a small generator and plug in whatever 12V power supply you have. I have a Honda 2000 that I use for things like that.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Default MGL comes with free simulator

Those of you building an Experimental (or building out of USA) could consider MGL for avionics: comes with free simulator. The sim is also usable without buying the stuff (http://www.mglavionics.com/), so perhaps you could learn from that perspective, as well?
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 08-30-2019, 12:25 PM

Can you find a hangar or fbo that will let you plug in an extension cord? If not get a spare car battery and keep it charged so you can jumper it. You can use your car and jumpers, but not good news to drain it and be stuck. A small generator would be a good thing to have anyway. Good luck.
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 08-30-2019, 03:56 PM

I bought one of these: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dm-30tr

I used it before flying with battery disconnected (connected battery cable to the power supply) to test/set up avionics.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
I bought one of these: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dm-30tr

I used it before flying with battery disconnected (connected battery cable to the power supply) to test/set up avionics.
Used a similar power supply, however that doesn't get the OP over the hump of not having 115VAC available at the airplane.

The cheapest solution will be cheap jumper cables that you modify on the aircraft end to fit your specific aircraft electrical system (smaller alligator clamps, for instance, to fit better, clamped to the master contactor and ground). Then go find a 12V battery - borrow it from your friend's unused pickup truck, from the guy who has a boat that he's not using, whatever.

Charge the battery up fully before you get to the airport. Power the airplane via the jumper cables, then recharge the battery when you get home.

Stick a DVM on the battery and check that you don't take it down too low in voltage.

A Group 27 battery from my tractor will run my panel pretty much all day from a full charge.

Shed any unnecessary loads by pulling fuses/circuit breakers if those loads don't have their own switch. Things like fuel pumps, COMM radios, transponder... Their user interface is simple and should take you only a few minutes to learn. Once you've got them sorted out, power them down and save the juice for the EFIS and its adjuncts.