Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
No. To generate a report you should be in ‘rule’ airspace - airspace where, by rule, adsb-out will be required in Jan. I flew above 10000’, and inside a Mode C veil, but never talked to anyone, and squawked 1200 the whole time. Got a report and a rebate just fine. Turn anonymous mode off.
thanks, I was starting to figure that was the case. I think I'm going to blast off, fly over KGSO's airspace for a while and see what happens.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Default PAPR time?

I'm homing in on the proper transponder threshold setting.The only issue I've had is the barometric altitude. I got some good advice from Uavionix to monitor that number with the app while reducing the threshold 50-75 at a time, watching for when it "populated." It did but then would drop out so I kept lowering it until the baro alt number stayed stable.

My issue is how to put the time into the papr report. I want the report to start at 1445 zulu (when the baro alt stabilized) but when I put that time into the form the report gives me the entire flight. I know I'm missing something basic, but what is it?

thx
Old 10-12-2019, 05:37 PM

I do not think you can request certain times. You always get data from the entire flight closest to the time (Z) you entered.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
I'm homing in on the proper transponder threshold setting.The only issue I've had is the barometric altitude. I got some good advice from Uavionix to monitor that number with the app while reducing the threshold 50-75 at a time, watching for when it "populated." It did but then would drop out so I kept lowering it until the baro alt number stayed stable.

My issue is how to put the time into the papr report. I want the report to start at 1445 zulu (when the baro alt stabilized) but when I put that time into the form the report gives me the entire flight. I know I'm missing something basic, but what is it?

thx
Yeah, that happened to me to. But IT DOES ask for a very specific zulu time on the report. But you WILL get the entire flight time. Government ( Make sure you put a colon between the hour and the minute. ie 19:35, not 1935) (I just picked the time that was midway between my flight.)

Last edited by donaziza : 10-12-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Default Success

My Echo which is mounted on the GRT Safe-Fly 2020 has now generated two or more PAPRs with no red boxes.

I forget what threshold setting was finally needed but it was 1000 or close to that. Uavionix advised me that there is no advantage to going any lower.

My only connections are power, ground, GPS antenna (came with GPS) and ADS-B antenna (came with Echo, included right angle adapter but needed cable which I ordered to customer length. It is not wired to the EFIS's nor the transponder (327).

While the debugging should not have been necessary, I am quite satisfied with the equipment and I have the power connected to the switch/breaker for my left EFIS so it is always on while flying.

That is the end of my story. I hope it encourages some of you to go that way or with other products from uAvionix for the same purpose. I have no connection with them whatsoever and this is unsolicited. I am willing to have PM conversations if anyone needs that.
Paid $25.00 "dues" net of PayPal cost for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (December).
This airplane is for sale: see website. my website

Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
Yeah, that happened to me to. But IT DOES ask for a very specific zulu time on the report. But you WILL get the entire flight time. Government ( Make sure you put a colon between the hour and the minute. ie 19:35, not 1935) (I just picked the time that was midway between my flight.)
The only reason to specify a time, is if you have more than one flight on a particular day. I routinely leave the time off and am able to receive a PAPR. Each PAPR covers one entire flight.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2019 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevansrv7a View Post
My Echo which is mounted on the GRT Safe-Fly 2020 has now generated two or more PAPRs with no red boxes.

I forget what threshold setting was finally needed but it was 1000 or close to that. Uavionix advised me that there is no advantage to going any lower.

My only connections are power, ground, GPS antenna (came with GPS) and ADS-B antenna (came with Echo, included right angle adapter but needed cable which I ordered to customer length. It is not wired to the EFIS's nor the transponder (327).

While the debugging should not have been necessary, I am quite satisfied with the equipment and I have the power connected to the switch/breaker for my left EFIS so it is always on while flying.

That is the end of my story. I hope it encourages some of you to go that way or with other products from uAvionix for the same purpose. I have no connection with them whatsoever and this is unsolicited. I am willing to have PM conversations if anyone needs that.
Good info and I greatly appreciate the report hevansrv7a!
Old 11-03-2019, 01:50 AM

Default Success with a mode S transponder

Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES). I decided not to upgrade the transponder. Some of the uAvionix documentation does not mention using a mode S non-extended squitter transponder. Other uAvionix documentation says it works. A call to uAvionix verified that I should be OK.

It worked on the first flight but red-boxed 12% on the Baro-alt with the default threshold of 1550. Setting the threshold to 1200 fixed that issue. I am a happy camper. Both IN and OUT working perfectly.

Kudos to uAvionix.
KLVK Livermore, Calif.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Pictures of installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer46 View Post
Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES).

Kudos to uAvionix.
Hi! Do you mind sharing some pictures of your echoUAT if you have it?
I’m planning on installing one next year, but trying to have everything ready to do so.
Thank you.
RC Pilot ( if that counts )
2019 VAF Contribution Sent
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Sorry forgot to take photos

After I buttoned it up, I realized I had not taken photos. Later. But the installation is really simple as the Echo is so very small, so finding a mounting location is easy. I just mounted it on one of the support sheet metal parts at the rear of the radio stack. Then ran the RG400 almost straight down to the monopole antenna, which was placed a few inches inboard of the left fuel tank vent. Total RG400 was only 33 inches, so near minimum loss in the cable.

I did drill the panel and mounted an additional circuit breaker for the Echo and its Sky-FYX-ext GPS.

Overall, the issues were minimal. Only red-box was the Baro Alt, and thanks to all here on VAF, I sort of expected the need to change the Transponder Threshold on the Echo. One adjustment and I passed without red boxes.
KLVK Livermore, Calif.