Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
If you depart with a code, like from a Class C, then switch to anonymous mode when ATC tells you to squawk VFR, "the system" continues to track your flight under your N-number. Doing it the other way around, "the system" only shows your track beginning at the point when you were given a squawk code. At least, that's been my experience with my GDL-82. It's my belief that if you want to remain anonymous, you must depart and land squawking 1200 in anonymous mode. Personally, I don't see the point.
As of now the system does not continue to track you if you transition from discrete code ATC services to VFR in anonymous mode. So at that point forward the flight is equivalent to an anonymous flight without ATC interaction.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRV View Post
I installed the switch even though I leave it in anonymous mode almost all the time. In order to qualify for the rebate I had to do the verification flight with anonymous mode off, otherwise I might have just run pin 5 to ground and been in anonymous mode all the time.

I verified with Carl in his new, to him, RV-8 that when flipping the switch on I show up as "VFR" and with the switch off I show up with my tail number. ATC can still see the tail number, the only thing I am trying to avoid is all of the tracking web sites who have no need or right to know where I am at any given point.
FAA regulations require anonymous mode be switched, either with a hardwired mechanical switch or a menu/app selection. So hardwiring pin 5 violates the regs.

And your understanding of the anonymous mode N number information is incorrect. If you are in anonymous mode then even ATC doesn't have access to your N number. That is not possible from both a physical (random ICAO) and by regulatory specifications for Mode C systems.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
The black helicopters are not coming for you.
I doubt the average VAF reader is concerned about black helicopters.

These are sport aircraft. Ever do a nice smooth roll in cruise, just for the sheer joy of it? Maybe break into a mock dogfight? Did you check your proximity to an airway?

Ever nipped the edge of some airspace? Bumped the bottom of a Class B overhang? Maybe flew by your buddy's boat on the lake, and got a little low?

Some here may be Immaculate, but bless me Father, for I have sinned...

And yes, I suspect the future includes tolls. Time will tell, but ADSB certainly puts a chunk of the infrastructure into place.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
As of now the system does not continue to track you if you transition from discrete code ATC services to VFR in anonymous mode.
Flightaware does - or did six months ago. I'm not sure about the FAA "system".
Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
This makes as much sense as people that cover a car license plate they’re selling, meanwhile thousands of people and license plate readers see them all day.
Who cares where you go unless you’re cheating on your wife.
My dad had a case like that when a guy had a hard landing in Alaska the troopers tracked him down and when a concerned citizen was called at the guys house they said he and his wife were ok. Too bad the woman that picked up the phone at the guys home was his wife.
Believe me no one on this thread is important enough for anyone to care about. The black helicopters are not coming for you.
First, because we live in America where privacy and our right to travel freely without interference is fundamental. What if your state passed a law to display the name and address of motor vehicle owners on the side of every vehicle for all to see? Second, the FAA has computer systems to track and monitor aircraft that automatically log violations (ever innocently clip a corner of a stadium TFR or Class D ring?). Third it is akin to a taxi meter in place and ready to go for user fees and those same computers are waiting in the wings. It has nothing to do with trying to get away with illegal activity. By the way, those same nanny computers in the system is why the Oshkosh arrival NOTAM states that all Mode C only aircraft squawk "standby" while all ADS-B equipped aircraft remain on ALT. Even though the targets drive ATC nuts the "red light" computers in OKC would be spitting out violation notices faster than they could keep the printers loaded with paper. This is also why airshow performers who are equipped cannot fly the airshow without their equipment on and operable. Even in waivered airspace! This was explained during the Oshkosh performers briefing last year to the pilots. The FAA admitted there are still a lot of snags with ADS-B. Sometimes when flying formation ATC will request wing men sqwawk standby. If the wingman has ADS-B out technically ATC should not make the request and the pilot should not do it. The regs say that unless the pilot has declared an emergency ATC cannot request you violate a regulation or give such permission. More ridiculousness. Personally I opt to switch to standby to help them out and figure I can lean on their request should a violation notice arrive. Mandate rules and deep state nanny computers be damned.

Last edited by jliltd : 02-13-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Flightaware does - or did six months ago. I'm not sure about the FAA "system".
As a Flightaware flight feeder provider with a premium account, I can assure you it does not if you have Mode C an you are squawking 1200 in anonymous mode. In fact Flightaware doesn't even specifically track the 978 mhz UAT frequency so most of the time even when not in anonymous mode you won't show up. I have had discussions with them about that. But their whole system is based exclusively on 1090ES. The only reason you even show up at all on their system is 1) you are not in anonymous, 2.) you are sqwawking a discrete assigned code and 3.) the rebroadcasting of your information triggered by ATC and/or other aircraft equipped with 1090mhz out. So your UAT out equipment right out of the box doesn't play well with most private tracking systems like Flightaware. Which I see as another plus.

Last edited by jliltd : 02-13-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
Anyway, you do something stupid enough to get their attention going anonymous isn’t going to prevent them from finding you.
FWIW: Having spent 22yrs in Federal Law Enforcement I can say this is completely true. Even with absolutely no electrical system in your aircraft there is no place on Earth you can go if they really wanted to track your aircraft. Thankfully they don't have the time or resources to care about you or what you are doing. People think they are more important than what they really are, but to each his own.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 02-15-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM

Default ADSB Anonymous mode

Garmin guys please pipe in here.

Now that I have installed a GDL-82 I am confused about the anonymity mode. I couldn’t find any info in the installation manual that says the switch is optional nor could I find info that says the switch is actually required to have anonymous mode available, it says, “if switch is installed” which leads me to believe it is optional but if the switch IS NOT installed is the anonymous mode still available? In the configuration section of the manual it describes setting up the GDL-82 after installation

Can’t the wiring and/or the configuration be set up so that any time 1200 is selected it automatically goes into anonymous mode without any switch?

2.1.1 Anonymous Mode
In anonymous mode, the GDL 82 transmits a temporary address instead of the aircraft’s assigned ICAO address code, and a temporary Flight ID.

Anonymous Mode*
The Anonymous Mode* discrete input supports activation of the anonymous mode feature. When the discrete is grounded and the integrated transponder is tuned to the configured VFR squawk code, the GDL 82 will enter anonymous mode. If the integrated transponder is not tuned to the VFR squawk code, the GDL 82 will not enter anonymous mode in either discrete state.

7.3.4 ADS-B Selections
Anonymous Mode Switch
Select if an Anonymous Mode switch is installed. This setting controls the availability of the UAT anonymity feature. Consult the aircraft operator for guidance on whether this feature should be installed. When installed, enabled, and the flight crew selects the anonymous mode with the transponder tuned to the VFR code, the GDL 82 transmits a temporary address instead of the aircraft’s assigned ICAO address code, and a temporary Flight ID.
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
As of now the system does not continue to track you if you transition from discrete code ATC services to VFR in anonymous mode. So at that point forward the flight is equivalent to an anonymous flight without ATC interaction.
They may not see you live on the screen as you're flying, but if you take off from somewhere on a discrete code, then go anonymous as you leave the zone, the records will still show that this discrete code left the zone at this Lat/Long at this time, altitude, speed, and heading. And oh, look, this anonymous code showed up at the exact same place and time doing the exact same thing. Let's see where it went! And with a high probability that might convince a judge, they'll know it's you.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
Garmin guys please pipe in here.

Now that I have installed a GDL-82 I am confused about the anonymity mode. I couldn’t find any info in the installation manual that says the switch is optional nor could I find info that says the switch is actually required to have anonymous mode available....
Not a Garmin guy, but the question is easy enough. Ground Pin 5 and you'll always be in anonymous mode when squawking 1200. Or put a switch between Pin 5 and ground; with the switch open, you will NOT be anonymous.