- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Page 7-86, I think, has the answer.

Individual Airport METARs / TAFs / Winds Aloft Forecast

"When METAR and/or TAF and/or Winds Aloft Forecast weather reports are available for an
airport, they are accessed by selecting the WX tab the INFO window for that airport. Those
reports can also be displayed as colored icons for the airport icons on the moving map and in
the nearest window (MAP > MAP MENU > WEATHER OPTIONS > METAR ICONS).
Alternatively, pressing INFO when the list of NRST WX is being shown will also bring you directly
to the WX tab of the airport’s INFO PAGE.
Depending on the setting chosen in MAIN MENU > MAP > MAP MENU > WEATHER OPTIONS >
METAR/TAF TEXT, the METARs and TAFs on the WX page can be in raw or decoded form:"
Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
Page 7-86, I think, has the answer.

Individual Airport METARs / TAFs / Winds Aloft Forecast

"When METAR and/or TAF and/or Winds Aloft Forecast weather reports are available for an
airport, they are accessed by selecting the WX tab the INFO window for that airport. Those
reports can also be displayed as colored icons for the airport icons on the moving map and in
the nearest window (MAP > MAP MENU > WEATHER OPTIONS > METAR ICONS).
Alternatively, pressing INFO when the list of NRST WX is being shown will also bring you directly
to the WX tab of the airport’s INFO PAGE.
Depending on the setting chosen in MAIN MENU > MAP > MAP MENU > WEATHER OPTIONS >
METAR/TAF TEXT, the METARs and TAFs on the WX page can be in raw or decoded form:"
There is no "WEATHER OPTIONS" that comes up or shows in MAP> MAP MENU on his screen this morning.

There is also no WX tab for INFO at the airport we are at, KWHP.

Very frustrating.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
There is no "WEATHER OPTIONS" that comes up or shows in MAP> MAP MENU on his screen this morning.

There is also no WX tab for INFO at the airport we are at, KWHP.

Very frustrating.
So based on the above info, and the info in your Post #6 ("We have never seen a "ADSB OK" show up, just "TIS info Available" Nor have I ever seen the "ADSB STATUS RECEIVING" Box."), it appears that the SV is not seeing the -470.

The first thing to do is the "Post Installation Checks" on page 14-11 of the "System Installation Guide", to check that the -470 is communicating with the SV.

If not, check the -470's configuration details on page 14-1 of the "System Installation Guide".

Also see the bottom of page 14-10 and the top of 14-11, "SV-ADSB-470 Related SkyView Display Settings", to check the -470s serial port configuration.

Otherwise, the -470 is either failed, a fuse has blown, or some connections are problematic.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-19-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
So based on the above info, and the info in your Post #6 ("We have never seen a "ADSB OK" show up, just "TIS info Available" Nor have I ever seen the "ADSB STATUS RECEIVING" Box."), it appears that the SV is not seeing the -470.

The first thing to do is the "Post Installation Checks" on page 14-11 of the "System Installation Guide", to check that the -470 is communicating with the SV.

If not, check the -470's configuration details on page 14-1 of the "System Installation Guide".

Also see the bottom of page 14-10 and the top of 14-11, "SV-ADSB-470 Related SkyView Display Settings", to check the -470s serial port configuration.

Otherwise, the -470 is either failed, a fuse has blown, or some connections are problematic.
Doesn't make sense, how would "TIS AVAILABLE" and orange lines of planes be showing up on the MAP, and their elevation above or below us in 100's of ft? Isn't that only available with ADS B In? Or is that from the GPS 2020 or Xpander 261 ?

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-19-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make sense, how would "TIS AVAILABLE" and orange lines of planes be showing up on the MAP, and their elevation above or below us in 100's of ft? Isn't that only available with ADS B In? Or is that from the GPS 2020 or Xpander 261 ?
From the System Installation Guide:
"SkyView has the ability to receive and display aircraft traffic data from:
• Dynon Avionics SV-XPNDR-261/262 (from TIS)
• Dynon Avionics SV-ADSB-470/472/472 (from ADS-B)"
If you don't want to do those simple troubleshooting steps, or bother to look through the on-line Dynon manuals, well ...
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 PM

I agree with Carl.

You also need to check your transponder configuration. The SV-261 has a configuration value for ADSB In. This parameter is transmitted to the FAA. If you are the only aircraft in that ADSB tower’s area, it has the potential for the FAA not to transmit data to you. In which case, you will only receive TIS data from your transponder.

You can choose None, 1090ES, UAT 978, or both. Both would be the proper value for the 472. UAT 978 would be the proper choice for the 470. A betting person might think that it may be set to None at the moment based upon your comments.

I have AFS screens, but I do have both the 261 and 472. The AFS manual has very verbose instructions on how to configure and test both weather and traffic features of these units. While I haven’t read the Dynon manual, I would suspect as Carl has suggested, it would have identical text in their manual.

Without reading the manuals, learning how the gear is supposed to work, and knowing how it’s exactly configured, your frustration will continue.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
From the System Installation Guide:
"SkyView has the ability to receive and display aircraft traffic data from:
• Dynon Avionics SV-XPNDR-261/262 (from TIS)
• Dynon Avionics SV-ADSB-470/472/472 (from ADS-B)"
If you don't want to do those simple troubleshooting steps, or bother to look through the on-line Dynon manuals, well ...
Thank you for your assistance.

It's not my bird, and the owner doesn't want to look up that stuff or read it. He's an old stick and rudder pilot at 73, from the 6 pack days, that was also an AP for a living. Electronics and computerized stuff is not his forte. Nor do I have access to the plane , hangar locks or card for the security gate to get it to solve the problem. I'd like to help him solve the problem, but you might have noticed, I don't have the problem, he does. I'm just trying to help, he understands next to nothing about ADSB out and ADSB in. Just that he has to have it for 2020 to fly in class D, C or B airspace. If I didn't update his EFIS monthly for him, it would never get done.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I agree with Carl.

You also need to check your transponder configuration. The SV-261 has a configuration value for ADSB In. This parameter is transmitted to the FAA. If you are the only aircraft in that ADSB tower’s area, it has the potential for the FAA not to transmit data to you. In which case, you will only receive TIS data from your transponder.

You can choose None, 1090ES, UAT 978, or both. Both would be the proper value for the 472. UAT 978 would be the proper choice for the 470. A betting person might think that it may be set to None at the moment based upon your comments.
You
I have AFS screens, but I do have both the 261 and 472. The AFS manual has very verbose instructions on how to configure and test both weather and traffic features of these units. While I haven’t read the Dynon manual, I would suspect as Carl has suggested, it would have identical text in their manual.

Without reading the manuals, learning how the gear is supposed to work, and knowing how it’s exactly configured, your frustration will continue.
Thank you for this valuable tip, I hope it solves the problem.

I will check the settings for None, 1090ES UAT 978 or BOTH.

Maybe I should just call Dynon, instead of attempting troubleshooting here.

You'd think by now, that the EFIS would be able to sense the configuration options on boot up, of what devices are there, hand shake with authentication packets going both ways, like on a canbus system, and communicate with them. But no, it's still like windows 98 OS laptop computer is with setting up a wireless access point with a Wireless Access Point card. That was 20 years ago, mind you.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 10-20-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your assistance.

It's not my bird, and the owner doesn't want to look up that stuff or read it. He's an old stick and rudder pilot at 73, from the 6 pack days, that was also an AP for a living. Electronics and computerized stuff is not his forte. Nor do I have access to the plane , hangar locks or card for the security gate to get it to solve the problem. I'd like to help him solve the problem, but you might have noticed, I don't have the problem, he does. I'm just trying to help, he understands next to nothing about ADSB out and ADSB in. Just that he has to have it for 2020 to fly in class D, C or B airspace. If I didn't update his EFIS monthly for him, it would never get done.
Understand. It's great that you're trying to help him. Maybe the next time you update the Aviation databases for him, you can sneak a peek at the -470 setup and the Transponder setup that Bob mentioned. Wouldn't take much time.

As you know, he should ask for a PAPR report to make sure his Dynon ADS-B OUT transponder is working correctly. You can actually do that, knowing the correct info to input into the form:

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

ADS-B OUT will not be required in Class D beginning 1/1/2020. In addition to the other airspace you mentioned above, he will need ADS-B OUT in the 30nm Class B veil, above 10,000 ft MSL, above Class B and Class C airspace, and in some Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico.

Here is a post that nicely summarizes exactly where ADS-B OUT will be required come 1/1/2020:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...9&postcount=23

Just to be clear, ADS-B IN will not be required.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Understand. It's great that you're trying to help him. Maybe the next time you update the Aviation databases for him, you can sneak a peek at the -470 setup and the Transponder setup that Bob mentioned. Wouldn't take much time.

As you know, he should ask for a PAPR report to make sure his Dynon ADS-B OUT transponder is working correctly. You can actually do that, knowing the correct info to input into the form:

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

ADS-B OUT will not be required in Class D beginning 1/1/2020. In addition to the other airspace you mentioned above, he will need ADS-B OUT in the 30nm Class B veil, above 10,000 ft MSL, above Class B and Class C airspace, and in some Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico.

Here is a post that nicely summarizes exactly where ADS-B OUT will be required come 1/1/2020:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...9&postcount=23

Just to be clear, ADS-B IN will not be required.
We need it... we are within 30nm Class B veil of LAX and 4 miles out from BUR Class C, at WHP, where it is hangered. VNY is 5 miles west of us, too. Add in a fire recently closing down airspace right at runway 12 at WHP where we need to land with a TFR that didn't show on the map, and it's very, very complex airspace with natural mountain range barriers near by too.

I'm just a friend and a student that would like to learn to fly at age 61, by getting my sport pilot license.