Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Default Landing/Taxi/Nav/Strobe Lights

Hi guys,

My RV-9A has a simple strobe in both wingtips. I would like to add landing/taxi lights and keep some sort of nav/strobe combination too. Looked at the Aeroled AeroSun Vx – Van’s RV Wingtips but find them rather expensive (at around$ 1000.00) Also my wingtips would need conversion. I understand that they do not have strobes/nav capability.

Kindly asking for advise. What would you do as a simple yet clean replacement with good powerful lights that do not interfere with radio transmissions and add as much as possible in nav and strobe capability ?

Here's my wingtip;

[IMG]1024_Wingtip&Strobe by Simon Paul, on Flickr[/IMG]
RV-9
PH-SCP

"Building an aircraft is the male equivalent to giving birth, it only involves more blood and pain "
Old 10-16-2019, 06:23 AM

Default AeroLed's

Pulsar NS and MicroSun
Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH-SCP View Post
Hi guys,

My RV-9A has a simple strobe in both wingtips. I would like to add landing/taxi lights and keep some sort of nav/strobe combination too. Looked at the Aeroled AeroSun Vx – Van’s RV Wingtips but find them rather expensive (at around$ 1000.00) Also my wingtips would need conversion. I understand that they do not have strobes/nav capability.

Kindly asking for advise. What would you do as a simple yet clean replacement with good powerful lights that do not interfere with radio transmissions and add as much as possible in nav and strobe capability ?

Here's my wingtip;

[IMG]1024_Wingtip&Strobe by Simon Paul, on Flickr[/IMG]
Hi,
I just completed building my wingtip lights from a kit supplied by Flyleds. I haven't flown yet, but the LEDs are VERY bright and draw almost no power. They have kits for position and strobe alone or with landing lights too, and all fit in the Vans wingtip cutout space.
I was initially reluctant to build them myself because I don't have a lot of experience soldering electronics, but their instructions were extremely clear and very helpful-- tailored to someone like me. Flyleds has an option where they will build your lights for a fee, but I'd "roll my own" again in a heartbeat.
And their products are significantly less money than most of the other options I looked at.

So I'd recommend you check them out. I think if you search the forums you'll find a lot of happy Flyled customers. I am certainly one!
In the finish kit phase
2019 dues paid
Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 AM

FlyLEDs are fantastic. They are crazy bright and look like they were meant to be there. A lot of the older existing lights were designed to go on the end of old airplane wingtips and look weird inside the plexi on the RV wingtip.

In my RV I have the Original nav/strobe and added a Seven Suns as a landing light in my duckworks cutout. It is BRIGHT!

https://flyleds.com/
Old 10-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Default Lots of options

Hi Simon,

You are correct that the AeroSunVX was originally designed for the RV7/8 wing, rather than the RV9. As you can see from Patrick’s installation, we do offer other lights that will fit your wingtip. Here’s a picture of our AeroSunMX lights which are modular, provide landing & recognition, and are VERY bright. You already have the brightest NAV/Strobe available with the Pulsar NS. Due to the light-beam directional requirements, I am not aware of any lights on the market which offer landing/taxi/nav/strobe all in one unit. Happy to send you any datasheets you’d like to review.

Natalie
Email – Sales@AeroLEDs.com

While we always strive to respond to private messaging in a timely fashion, for urgent requests please call or email us directly.

Be Safe. Be Seen!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 PM

Here is a light that offers landing/taxi/nav/strobe:
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/The-...it/p/105662651

I have the nav/strobe version but have seen the one with landing/taxi as well. They are crazy bright.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Another vote for flyleds. Look no further!
Dues paid Dec 18
Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 AM

I'm using 3 of the Fly LEDs in each wing tip, very bright.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanks a lot everybody.This forum really is very helpful.

I contacted FlyLeds and will most likely go for the single or double-spotlights since I already have the strobes. Just hope it all fits in the limited cutout beneath the plexi.

Thanks again !
RV-9
PH-SCP

"Building an aircraft is the male equivalent to giving birth, it only involves more blood and pain "