What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Dolly for Wing Installation

Snoho3

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to move my -9A project to the airport(!) Wings have not been attached yet but I am anxious to do at least a trial fit when all the parts are in the new hangar. I assume I'll need to build some dollies for rolling the wings around and up to the mating position. I'd like to build these now so they are ready to go.

Does anyone have any pics or advice for these dollys? Is just one sufficient or should I build two? I can't imagine they are too difficult - but rather than reinvent the wheel I thought I'd ask here. Any special considerations I should be aware of? Again - pics of what others have done would be helpful.

Related question - how many times did you take your wings on/off before the final installation? Obviously I'd like to minimize the number - any tips for this?

Thanks everyone.

You need helpers and padded sawhorses. Not dollies.

You carry the wings to the approximate location and set 'em on padded sawhorses. Then you remove the sawhorses and insert the wings, holding them in position with 2-3 bolts that you cut the threads off of and sharpen to turn into hole finders/drifts. Then you rest the outboard end of the wing on a sawhorse while you attach the real bolts.

I bought a furniture dolly from harbor freight and framed up a 2x6 with padding on top of it the same level as the bottom of the carry through spar for installing the wings on my RV-10. It was very easy to roll the wing in position with my build buddy and as one works to get the bolts through. The other one on the wing tip to manipulate it to line up the holes. The dolly was positioned in the middle of the wing. I’ll do the same on my RV-9A.

I just put the wings on my 10 with two people helping me, but could have done it with one person. It was a non-event, really. Took about 15 minutes.

Solo Wing installation

You can do it by yourself if you wish.

I used several hardware store bolts matching the four main spar bolts. Grind off the threads and grind a bullet nose on the bolt. Chuck the bolt in a drill press and polish the cheap bolt to a smooth slip fit through the spar holes. you can test the fit with the wing apart. Lub lightly and slip through both the wing and center section holes. Make two of these for each wing for temporary alignment.

I used four saw horses ( Mostly for drop protection) an engine hoist, tie down straps and some 2x4 s.

If you are interested I can send photos. PM me.

Back