- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwWright57 View Post
How about some pictures Jim?
That is the picture...

Remove instrument bay cover sheetmetal to gain access to screws holding old Garmin mount. I left the GPS antenna cable and Garmin power cable tucked away behind the panel. Install four flat-head screws at top of instrument panel so iPad can mount flush over large hole vacated by the Garmin. I mount the iPad with four small pieces of 3M Body Side Molding Tape - one on each back corner of the iPad. iPad can be removed with razor blade to slit the mounting tape. Perfect...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM

What ever you fly with, I recommend staying with the same software for the reason of simplicity and continuity of your thinking process when flying. I have the ifly in the panel and at one point early on was using something else at the same time... wing x maybe, I don't remember. The problem was they were different which required lots of thinking about how to do what on either one. When ifly added second/third devices for $20.... I dropped the other. Eliminated lots of confusion. Ifly is VERY intuitive to use and it drives my Dynon autopilot too.
Here is a good example. I was 120 miles from home couple weekends ago and lost my alternator. After landing and checking everything... alt was bad. I flew home with the master switch off. I had the ifly software on my nexus tablet and my iphone. The nexus was getting adsb info from my back up stratux and the phone was doing a good job by itself. (For some reason I couldn't get it to pick up the wifi from the stratux). Same ifly software on all three made for a seamless transition to use the other devices. Ifly has always worked very well for me.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 PM

Well, the bad news is... my 3D printed mount failed. I'm really not THAT surprised, since the little mounting bosses have shear and tension stresses on them in the exact wrong direction for the 3D printed layers. In other words... the weakest part is the part that's stressed the most, in its weakest direction. Oh, well... it was a fun exercise designing and printing it, at least. If it were injection molded in ABS, it would probably last forever. And, my CNC router doesn't have enough axes to do the job.

Not a big problem. I'll fabricate a simple aluminum plate, with a hole for the cables, to cover the hole from the 496. I'd much rather just replace the center portion of the panel, but that would mean pulling the throttle, choke and heat cables... no thanks. Anyway, we'll either mount the iFly GPS with some industrial Velcro, or use a commercially available injection molded part attached to that.

Both of us are quite happy flying with the iFly. Easy to use, we've got ADS-B traffic and weather in addition to all the airport data, etc. And, it talks to the autopilot and HSI just fine. We've just added a third partner, he was pretty impressed by it as well (admittedly easy to do, since he's been flying trainers until now).

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 PM

I mounted my mini iPad over the central Garmin GPS panel hole using 3M Super Strength Molding Tape. I have 3/8" length in each of the four corners. Works a charm. If every you want to remove just slice the tape with a razor knife.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H