What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB on WingX App

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I recently completed an extensive avionics upgrade and wanted some backup systems. My GTN 650 provides the IFR navigation to the Advanced Flight Systems EFIS which receives ADSB wx/tfc info from the Dynon SV 472 module. I also have a Garmin Aera 660 backup GPS wired into a GDL-39 3D for ADSB IN and the Garmin GDL 82 for ADSB Out. During the upgrade I also installed a USB WIFI Drive on the back of the Advanced EFIS.

On both my IPad Mini and my IPhone I have the WingX app which I really like. Not just because it’s free for military/CFIs but because it really is a good program. I let my Garmin Pilot subscription expire and only use WingX on the portables now.

I wanted to get in flight weather and ADSB traffic on the WingX app but according to the info on the WingX website neither the Dynon SV-472 ADSB receiver or the Advanced EFIS I have in the airplane are compatible for ADSB/weather & traffic to display. The only compatible hardware on the list is the Dynon DRX ADSB receiver. I also e-mailed WingX and they said my setup would not work to get the info to the App.

Went flying the other day and decided to see if it would work anyway (yes I’m stubborn and didn’t want to take no for an answer). I opened the settings on the IPad Mini, selected the AFS WiFi, typed in the password and crossed my fingers.

So here’s the good part- Opened the WingX app and there they were: all these airplanes flying around nicely displayed on the IPAD Mini with callsigns, altitudes etc, mission accomplished. So it looks like Dynon WIFI will send ADSB info to the WingX app. What I forgot to check was whether it will also broadcast the Adhars data from the AFS to the synthetic vision screen in WingX- next Flight maybe.

Last edited:
Good to know. But it sounds like the AFS efis is doing the actual wifi, so maybe it decodes the Dynon data and broadcasts it in a manner the WingX can understand?
BTW, I also use and like WingX (even when I had to pay for it!). I use a SkyRadar-D for ADSB-in. It broadcasts WiFi directly to the iPad, and connects via USB to the GRT HX.

Back