What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Choice has been made: Building an RV-14

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
After much thought/pondering, we (my wife and I) decided to go for the RV-14. I know that the RV-10 would be sweet, but the kids will be out of the house by the time the plane is complete and most of our missions will be just the two of us. Once it was down to a 2 seater, it was the -7 versus the -14. In the end, the -14 is roomier and easier (less time) to build.

So after talking with the guys from Vans at Fun in the Sun and getting the OK from my wife, I placed the order for the wing kit while at the show. Now I have 8 weeks to finish the shop and buy tools.

Cheers
Ken

Congrats Ken, sounds like a good choice...and although I havent flown the -14, it is an RV, I'm sure its a sweet ride. Welcome to the madness!

Welcome to the build!

Hey Ken......Congratulations....I sat in the -14 at SnF.....nice and roomy:D Hope you like excitement, fun.....and rollercoasters!!!:eek:

Congrats Ken!

I made the jump into building yesterday with my -14 wing kit order. This should be an exciting journey with my son!

Josh

My family (wife and two daughters) took a weekend long building class from Troy Grover in IN. So hopefully I will have the whole family involve. Plus I have a couple of guys from work who really want to help out. One has his VFR ticket and the other is working on it.

It should be an interesting life experience.

Ken

That's great news. I sat in it at Sun-N-Fun as well, that canopy is amazing with the visibility, simply incredible.

I too have debated the 7 vs. 9 vs. 14. I think it is likely that there will be no exceptions for 180hp engines and self certifiy medicals so still trying to decide on what to do.

Congrats though.

My family (wife and two daughters) took a weekend long building class from Troy Grover in IN. So hopefully I will have the whole family involve. Plus I have a couple of guys from work who really want to help out. One has his VFR ticket and the other is working on it.

It should be an interesting life experience.

Ken

It definitely will be an interesting life experience.

My daughter landed her college intership position (she's an Industrial Engineering major) because of her riveting experience. She would dimple and help me buck rivets on occasion. The interviewer asked if she ever designed and built anything. She talked about helping on the RV. The interviewer turned out to be a private private and he spent the rest of the interview asking about the RV. The skills have nothing to do with what she'll be doing, but she found out that she was the only one that had any kind of practical hands on experience.

My son also has learned that it's been a good ice breaker with his IPs and peers at UPT in the Air Force. It seems that many them are interested in RVs too.

Back