What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empty weight of a fully optioned RV-12?

Aero12

I'm New Here
Hi all,

First time post from a wannabe builder trying to understand what a "real world" RV-12 would weigh.

I would appreciate the expected empty weight (range) of a fully optioned -12. Van's has an empty weight of 740lbs in their specs but there is no information on the option level (I'm assuming no options). Would be great to hear about real numbers with paint, primer (I live on the coast), wheel fairings, lights auto pilot and interior trim (did I forget anything?).

Any information on the weight penalties of the big ticket items (painting/priming) would be handy.

Thanks in advance.

Giles

Hey Giles, 8DF weighs 740 lbs with all options except pants and rear baggage upholstery. This is not all you asked for, but should start the pondering until others wake up.

From memory, the heaviest one I can recall hearing about was around 780-790 with all options and paint.

N7771 came out at 768# with all uphostery, no paint, wheel pants on. Our weight without upholstery or wheel pants was 725#.

After completing the Skyview installation, I had to reweigh New Blue. It has all available options installed. I used certified electronic scales. Empty weight was 755 lbs.

After completing the Skyview installation, I had to reweigh New Blue. It has all available options installed. I used certified electronic scales. Empty weight was 755 lbs.

.... And the red prototype, N412RV with all options except for the baggage area carpet and upholstered cover for the rear baggage bulkhead weighs 750 lbs (lighter paint job than the nice shinny blue on new blue)

Mine is 748 lbs with all the options you mention, Giles, except the autopilot.

Cheers...Keith

760 here with all options and three colors of paint. I think Mitch left a 5 lb wrench in the back of mine.

Pete

Back