What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Clarifies Avionics Testing Of Experimental Aircraft

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
In response to a question posed by the Aircraft Electronics Association, the FAA has stated that Repair Stations can test and inspect equipment on experimental aircraft.

The FAA concluded that, “We have identified no FAA regulations…that would prohibit a certificated repair station from performing maintenance for an owner or operator who seeks to bring an experimental aircraft into compliance with §§ 91.411 and 91.413. Furthermore, although many experimental aircraft are categorically excluded from Parts 43 and 145, those aircraft are not excluded from §§ 91.411 and 91.413, which impose certain Part 43 requirements. Finally, §§ 91.411 and 91.413 require the equipment discussed in this interpretation to be tested by certain specified individuals or organizations and, as you state in your letter, in many cases a Part 145 repair station is the only viable option for the owner or operator of a general aviation aircraft.”

So if your local avionics shop tries to say they can't check your avionics because your airplane is an experimental you can point them in this direction. REMEMBER, you can't force them to do something they do not want to do. They can still refuse to work on experimental aircraft they just can't use the FAA as an excuse. You can read more information about this at:

http://generalaviationnews.com/2015...cleared-to-inspect-equipment-on-experimental/

:cool:

Last edited:
(yes, I realize the original post is 7 months old.)

I just recently tried to scheduled a pitot/static/transponder check with a shop at my local airport and was told they "can't" do experimental.

I sent them the FAA letter saying they can (I was specific in not saying they they had to; they can run their business however they wanted) and I got a call back saying (parapharsing): yeah, OK, technically we can, but our insurance frowns on working with experimental aircraft.

It was a friendly note and call, and it seems insurance trumps all. whatcanyado.

I sent them the FAA letter saying they can (I was specific in not saying they they had to; they can run their business however they wanted) and I got a call back saying (parapharsing): yeah, OK, technically we can, but our insurance frowns on working with experimental aircraft.

This is code for "We don't want to". You did the right thing by going to somebody that wants your business. When the number of flying experimental airplanes in their area exceed the number of certificated airplanes, they will change their outlook.

:cool:

Indeed! I end up schooling some random avionic's shop owner somewhere very regularly when they have an experimentsl plane and claim they can't do it.

Usually means they have never seen an EFIS....so as with other folks recommendation's I'd say just find a shop that does. Much easier than trying to force someone to do something they either can't, don't want to do, or just don't have the skills. Sooner or later they'll see the light! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Back