What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT/430W VLOC issue

tim2542

Well Known Member
Im having some trouble with the OBS on my HS-1's (with ARINC). I keep getting a "SYNC TO EXT OBS" message. This is shown in Red, but when you turn the knob it goes to yellow. I have recheck the settings in the HS-1's, per Carlos's instructions; and I'm near certain it is wired correct and I/A/W GRT's Schematic. At least I know I carefully checked and re-checked it several times before I ever applied power. I'm wondering now if there is a Garmin setting incorrect. I do get a good VOR signal and the bearing to the VOR appears to be correct, although I think it may be off about 10 degrees. I'm inclined to think it is the dummy operating it and I just don't have it selected properly. It is set to select VLOC from the 430W
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

Try a different VOR station

I was getting the same message a couple of months back when I was working on flying VOR approaches. I couldn't figure it out at first because it was intermittent. The the course bar on the HSI page would also disappear intermittently when I was using the VOR as the input to the GRT.

In my case, it turned out to be the VOR station itself. There was a NOTAM for maintenance on the VOR but it was not easy to find . The VOR station put out enough of a signal that GNS480 could de-code the station identifier and display it, even when I was getting the SYNC to EXT OBS message.

Once the station was fixed, I stopped having the problem.

Thanks, I'll try that once I get flying. But the VOR is only 3 miles away and the issue has been there for weeks now, no Notams on it I could find. I'm guessing its a loose D sub pin or incorrect setting. Maybe the signal is too weak from the ground and I should wait until I get airborne and give it a try.
Tim

Last edited:
430w settings

main arinc settings on mine are:
in1- low-EFIS/airdata
in2-high-Garmin GTX 330
out- low- Gama 429
if you have this last one (out) high it may be your problem

I'd definitely start by checking the 430 settings - you have to have the right settings on both ends of the data links!

No Joy

Well I struck out on the 430 settings. They all look right, when I tried Bob's settings and lost the whole thing. Looks like a call to Stein or Carlos on Monday.
Any other ideas appreciated.

Working properly

So I should close out this old thread. The problem was just a weak signal due to being on the ground. The VOR is 3 miles away and I didnt think it was a problem. Taxi to a better spot on the airport or takeoff and it works fine.
Thanks, Tim

Back