What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light

Larry

Has anyone put in the landing light in the lower cowling? It looks like Vans has provide the ability to do this vith the reinforced area in the right side of the cowling. If any has how did they do it and what light did they use?

Landing Lights in lower Cowling

My -06 has two lights in the lower cowling, one points for landing and one for taxi. They both come on together with one switch. I didn't build the plane but have put 250 hours on it and love it BTW....I really thought I would have to replace the bulbs because of vibration but I'm now over 500TT and still going strong. I did have to redo a wire that shorted out when it touched the Alt pully but that was easy to find and fix. I don't know the model lights used but I could take lots of pictures of the installation for you. Seems the builder installed round Plexiglass pieces in the cowling then mounted adjustable bulb assemblies behind them so I could re-aim them if needed. I have never seen another RV with the cowl lights so I thought it was kinda unique. I'm interested to see others reply to this thread.
Bob Martin
RV-6
Louisa Va

I personally wouldn't put a light in the lower cowl, too much vibration there. we have C172's in a flying club and we are always changing bulbs

I would very much like to see pictures. I decided not to put my Duckworths in the wings and am looking for something different.

I had a Cherokee with a landing light in the cowl, and I never flew with the lights on except while landing at night, because I heard that they didn't last long because of the vibration. Supposedly they cost $25 for the cheap replacement or $100 for the better replacement. However, the 75 watt halogens that I have in my wing tips only cost $4. At $4 a shot, I am considering putting an extra taxi light in the cowl. It looks like the best angle that I can get on the wing tip lights will not cover as good as I would like (long ways from flying).

Tracy.

Glasair has a cowling light kit. Dont know where the vibration stories arise from , but I never had a problem with mine. Go to Newglasair website for the catalogue . Btw it comes with a clear plexi lens which should fit the rv cowl.
I have wired for two switches , landing and taxi ,due to the high current draw of two halogens.

Back