What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Processing Interval for New EAB Registrations?

10builder

Well Known Member
Just submitted my paperwork and it arrived in Oklahoma City on Monday 1/14/19 by USPS Priority Mail; now the wait begins. What is interesting is that I've read several recent posts on VAF that seem to indicate current processing times range anywhere from a week to 60 days. I also read on EAA.org that "The FAA gives homebuilt registrations priority and strives to turn them around in five working days" (Becker, Dec. '01). Anyone with very recent observations?

Interesting ... I'll be sending mine in shortly .. and will report back with the FAA's responsiveness (with or without a shutdown)

Doubt registrations are considered essential or that unpaid workers are very motivated to speed your paperwork on its way.

FAA Registration

Just submitted my paperwork and it arrived in Oklahoma City on Monday 1/14/19 by USPS Priority Mail; now the wait begins. <snip> Anyone with very recent observations?

Not to worry... the team of ladies at the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch are on the job and will take good care of you. Recent experience:
12-28-18 - Paperwork mailed USPS Priority
01-01-19 - Delivered
01-02-19 - Certificate Issue Date

This recent experience was unusual in that we've never had an application processed in only one day; typical experience is 5-7 day processing. The team of ladies at the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch are the best of the best and give true meaning to the slogan "we're here to help". While I was operating my own business, I would cheerfully have paid $100 a bottle for the water they get delivered to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch. Good stuff... Great customer service!

Last edited:
I think the delays you are hearing about are Special number requests and N number changes. There is quite a wait for some of these. I believe original applications go through pretty quick.

So to pile in on this I put in for a custom N number, but am ready to register. Do I have to wait for the n number to get approved before I?m able to register?

So to pile in on this I put in for a custom N number, but am ready to register. Do I have to wait for the n number to get approved before I?m able to register?

I think the answer is probably "yes" - and my experience is that the N number reservation takes much longer (several weeks) than registering to a previously reserved N number (about a week).

To clarify...

UPDATE: as mentioned in my initial post my paperwork arrived via USPS to Oklahoma City on Monday morning. I did a quick N number search today and my previous N number reservation has now changed to reflect a registration! Looks like they are processing in less than three days!

Not processing registration transfers nearly as quickly. I purchased plane on 12/27. Sent paperwork in on 1/2. Check I sent with paperwork was converted to ACH and cleared my bank on 1/10. As of today, N-number search still shows previous owner.

What shows on the website for N number owner isn?t necessarily up to date. I made an N number change in October that took 6 weeks to be approved, so I could get it painted on my fuselage (by GLO), and it still doesn?t show our owner registration online. It?s been approved though, and I have a letter verifying that, so it will eventually show up on their website. Have patience.

START YOUR PAPER AT LEAST 6 WEEKS BEFORE INSPECTION - YOU MAY NEED MORE TIME NOW BECAUSE OF THE SHUT DOWN.

Mailed registration application last Friday 1-11-19. Showed up on website today. Took only one week.

Back