What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting F-1055 rudders stop skin stiffeners

SeanM

Emp page 10-20 Step 7- "... Rivet the stiffeners to the F-1056 rudder stop brace using AN470AD4-4 rivets"

I am not sure how to reach these 4 rivets. My double offset set isn't long enough (or offset enough) for my gun to clear the longerons. The squeezer can't reach it either.

How have others gotten to these rivets? I see Aircraft Spruce has a 10-1/2" length 1/8" straight set. I'm thinking this may be the way to go--if it'll clear the longerons that is. I figured it would be wise to ask here first. Thoughts?

Thanks

Pictured are the holes in question. I have rivets in two of the four the holes, one on each side:

aSmw6MI.jpg

If I remember right, I was able to get squeezer on two inside rivets. Blind riveted the other two for reasons you mentioned.

Not sure if different squeezers have different dimensions, but I was able to get my squeezer onto all of those rivets using a 1-1/2" yoke. (It came with the squeezer kit I got from ATS). It was tight and remember that trying to trigger the squeezer while holding it upside down was "fun" but it worked.

Not sure if that really helps your situation out however.

I had to go back and look at my log. A friend had an 'alligator' style pneumatic squeezer, which did the trick.

I used a hand squeezer. Being #4 rivets it took a bit of work to squeeze them but it was doable.

How about an Alligator rivet squeezer - comes in pretty handy lots of places - borrow or rent if not wanting to invest.:)

Alligator squeezers seem like they could be super useful, maybe just a tad pricey though. I would like to add one to my wishlist but will need to research them a bit more, any recommendations?

No way I can get my existing bulky pneumatic squeezer in there. The straight set from AS should arrive today and I will give that a shot. If that doesn't work I may look into a hand squeezer or just biting the bullet and getting an alligator squeezer.

Alligator squeezers seem like they could be super useful, maybe just a tad pricey though. I would like to add one to my wishlist but will need to research them a bit more, any recommendations?

No way I can get my existing bulky pneumatic squeezer in there. The straight set from AS should arrive today and I will give that a shot. If that doesn't work I may look into a hand squeezer or just biting the bullet and getting an alligator squeezer.

I have both a pneumatic and a hand squeezer. There have been a few places in the build so far (trim tab hinges (ie: AN3 rivets in tight places)) where I prefer the hand squeezer. It gets into tighter places and it's easier to control overall. AN4 rivets take a bit more muscle but can be done in small batches. It will be much less expensive than adding another pneumatic squeezer.

Back