What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Build Question

I'm considering an RV-7 but can only afford one Quick Build item. Which would you recommend - the wings or the fuselage ?
Thanks,
Randy

If time is your factor, I would recommend the fuselage QB over the wing QB.
The wing is very simple and has nothing in it that you haven't already done on the tail.
The fuselage is quite complex compared to the wing.

Welcome to VAF Randy!! Basically what Mel said, but the fuselage is more fun to build compared to the wings which is quite boring and repetitive, and not to mention the missing out on pro- sealing the fuel tanks.

Or, for a different option...

I went slow build on my 9A. I saved about $11k over the cost of the quick build.

I used some (most) of the money I would have spent on the QB to hire someone to help me with the canopy and the FWF.

For me at least I felt that was a MUCH better use of my money. I've seen people spend a year on the canopy and it still not be quite right. Having someone that had done one before help me was huge.

On the FWF plumbing. I could have done it by myself, but having someone with some expertise double check everything and make sure it was done correctly was a huge time saver.

Just another option to think of.

-Dan

I did the slow build and it took me 6 months to get the tail and wings done. Getting the fuselage to the quickbuild stage took me about a year and a half.
And I was putting in plenty of hours every week! So to answer your question, the biggest time saving is definitely getting the quickbuild fuselage.

As others have mentioned here in the forums, some of the quickbuild fuel tanks have been problematic with leaks and paint bubbling. I'm glad I was able to be super meticulous when I built the fuel tanks and so far have not had any issues (don't skimp on the proseal). You can also upgrade the fuel caps and senders by doing the slow build.

The canopy was definitely the hardest part of the build, just because of the ever changing nature of the parts and having to trim everything repeatedly to get a good enough fit. The fiberglassing part isn't bad, but it is very iterative - apply, sand, fill, repeat. Once the canopy is done, it is all downhill and tailwinds to the end.

Welcome to VAF!

Randy,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Back