What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boss Mount Alternator Bolt Torque Help!!!

AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I bought a 60A planepower alternator for my RV-8. When I started the alternator installation I couldn't find torque value for bolts, plane power manual said to use torque value specify on engine manual. Unfortunately the manual and DVD that came with my new Lycoming YIO-360 doesn't have to much important information, I think I supoust to by a real mechanich maintanaince manual:(

OK so please could help me with torque value so I will be able to finish my alternator intallation.

Thank you

Sitting here at the coffee shop I can't help you with the torque value. If no one else posts it I'll post it later after I've been to the shop. Sacremento Sky Ranch and several other sources sell Lycomming overhaul manuals pretty reasonably. Overhaul manuals come complete with a table of limits that pretty much outlines every measurment in your engine. It's a must have in your hanger tool kit.

Sitting here at the coffee shop I can't help you with the torque value. If no one else posts it I'll post it later after I've been to the shop. Sacremento Sky Ranch and several other sources sell Lycomming overhaul manuals pretty reasonably. Overhaul manuals come complete with a table of limits that pretty much outlines every measurment in your engine. It's a must have in your hanger tool kit.

You are right, I must buy an overhaul manual for my engine, problem is I am in Chile and is going to take some time to get it. Please send me the info that you have for those bolt so I continue working on my engine.

Cheers

It's not specifically listed...

..in the Overhaul Manual, probably because the alternator is usually considered an airframe part, and not an engine part on certified planes.

The general Lycoming torque values should work for these bolts -

torques.jpg

Stud Torque?

So is 25 in-lb min. the torque used for these bolts with the alternator bracket due to them going into the threaded engine case?

Back