What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Tank Vent Line

thoma015

Well Known Member
I purchased a set of wings that already had some work completed on them and while i was mocking up the right tank i noticed that the hole drilled for the vent line was not per the plans.

IMG_20161215_180709029.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In the picture above you can see the mark where the hole should be drilled and the hole below it from the previous owner. I think i have 3 options here:
1. Use the hole for the vent line and just bend the line to fit it.
2. Put a provisional fuel return line in case i need it in the future and drill the vent line in the proper place.
3. Plug the hole...not sure what i would use in this case, however.

Any suggestions?

IMG_20161215_180700035.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I tend to not vary from the plans whenever possible. I would just order replacement parts and make it right. However you could rivet on a patch that covers the hole, seal it with sealant and put the rivets on wet with sealant. I'm sure that could work but that wouldn't be the way that I would do it.

Well, I'm building an RV-3, not an RV-7, so that tends to bias my views a bit; on the RV-3, tweaking is pretty common.

I'd use the existing hole and bend the tube as necessary, depending on the geometry of the mating parts.

Also, while it can certainly be argued that it's not necessary, I think that it's worth putting tank sealant under that ring. Here are mine while curing.

2ql5rg0.jpg

For me, the idea was to take every opportunity available to block any potential leak path.

Dave

Any will work

I snuck out to my garage to look at my 7 wings sitting in the storage cradle. The location of the hole on your rib is the same location where I placed the B&C connector for the capacitive fuel senders. The hole in you photo appears that it may be too large for the b&c but I could be wrong. I took a photo but not set up to post photos. If you would like I can email you the pic I took.

Looking at my build, I do not think there would be any interference if you put the vent line in that location and I seem to recall having to joggle the vent tube inside the tank to get it to the high point.
One thing to consider, and I don't think this will be an issue is, if you are using flop tubes for your fuel pick ups make sure the pick up won't hit the vent line inside the tank.

Been a long time since I put my cap fuel senders in, if you are going with that option you may want to keep that location for that purpose. If that is the case I would place a patch in the location with proseal and rivets and drill a smaller hole in the patch if needed.

Hope these random thoughts help.

Eric

Use if for a fuel return. Just make sure you dont have interferance with the fuel quantity sender

I snuck out to my garage to look at my 7 wings sitting in the storage cradle. The location of the hole on your rib is the same location where I placed the B&C connector for the capacitive fuel senders. The hole in you photo appears that it may be too large for the b&c but I could be wrong. I took a photo but not set up to post photos. If you would like I can email you the pic I took.

Looking at my build, I do not think there would be any interference if you put the vent line in that location and I seem to recall having to joggle the vent tube inside the tank to get it to the high point.
One thing to consider, and I don't think this will be an issue is, if you are using flop tubes for your fuel pick ups make sure the pick up won't hit the vent line inside the tank.

Been a long time since I put my cap fuel senders in, if you are going with that option you may want to keep that location for that purpose. If that is the case I would place a patch in the location with proseal and rivets and drill a smaller hole in the patch if needed.

Hope these random thoughts help.

Eric

Now that you mention the capacitive senders that is what he was planning on using for his setup. I ordered some floats and plan on using those instead and am not using flop tubes.

Use if for a fuel return.

+1
If you're going to plug it, the simplest way is to put a bulkhead fitting there and cap it with an a/n cap. Pick the type that will most likely work for possible future use (straight, rt angle, 45*, etc).

Charlie

Makes sense

Now that you mention the capacitive senders that is what he was planning on using for his setup. I ordered some floats and plan on using those instead and am not using flop tubes.

Based on that, I would run the vent from there as long as the float doesn't interfere with it. I would joggle it in the first bay if possible and set up a straight run to the end. IIR, a retainer clip is set at the fuel filler cap in the last bay to stabilize to otherwise unsupported end of the vent.

That will prevent unneeded penetration's in the tank.

Back