What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Rudder Horn Brace Elongated Holes

RV701775

While drilling my rudder horn brace (R-710) using the skin and R-910 bottom rib as a drill guide the four holes were elongated to about 0.104 in dia. With the thin rudder skins, these holes will likley expand to 0.110 during dimpling. The max mil spec dia. is 0.103.

Since it is all four holes, I would prefer not to use an oops rivet and I wont gain any advantage since the factory head is the same size. There is no issue on the horn brace side where I will be setting the shop head. Since the holes in the horn brace are to spec, is it an issue to set a 3/32 rivet or do I need to upsize? I don't want there to be a structural issue either.

The plans call out a CS4-4 rivet option but I would like to stick with a driven rivet if possible. I plan on using a mini tungsten bucking bar to get in their so a -4 rivet may be more challenging. Also, there is an edge distance issue for a -4 rivet on the aft hole of the rudder brace (0.17 in to edge to edge), so I would need to order a new part and re-drill.

Any advice would be helpful.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GApzsHx7vbrJupLP9

Last edited:
Add some extra rivets

Using 3D minimum spacing (3 * 3/32 = 9/32), it looks like you can add as many as two extra rivets between each of the existing holes. That thing won't ever come off!

Back