What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems with Freeflight ADSB?

From FreeFlight:

Re: FAA Airworthiness Concern Sheet, dated July 24, 2019

Dear Valued Partners and Customers,

FreeFlight Systems is aware of a letter from the Federal Aviation Administration titled, "Airworthiness Concern" dated July 24, 2019. This letter pertains to the FreeFlight Systems FDL-978-XVR.

We are not aware of any technical issues with these systems. FreeFlight Systems is working with the FAA to understand the basis of their expressed concern.

Respectfully,
Tim Taylor

President and CEO, FreeFlight Systems

Any update on FAA note on failure/degradation ?

trying to decide if I should put Freeflight on the ?to be considered list? for my implementation of ADSB

Doesn?t look like a lot of folks have these units, but those that did reported good support and performance,....

The note from FAA leaves a question hanging

I have two Freeflight Rangr Lites (out with internal WAAS GPS). Part number is FDL-978-TX/LITE so I will guess it's okay since the FAA letter states a different part number. Freeflight is very robust hardware and the company kind of helped set the standard for ADS-B having been involved in the Capstone program in Alaska which was the dress rehearsal for the current ADS-B mandate. My units are paired with GTX 327 mode C digital transponders with anonymous mode switches. Both in type certified aircraft.

I would estimate the install is about twice the work as a GDL 82 with the Freeflight requiring more wiring and a dedicated ADS-B antenna on the belly. I used TED ball and stick UAT antennas.

Never had a lick of trouble. Freeflight is easy to call with good support.

Jim

Last edited:
Back