What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke system Dribble

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
I?m ashamed to admit I?m a dribbler??.
When I turn my smoke system off it shuts off immediately then 10-30 seconds later the lines must drain (running two injectors that are joined together at the firewall) and I puff smoke for 3-5 seconds. The check valves don?t help. Buck Roteman of Wild Horse Aviation airshows uses a solenoid on his Pitts and it works perfect so I installed two of them on my system. I have some oil leakage at the pipe fittings that go into the solenoids. Can someone recommend a good sealant? Fuel lube (Ez Turn) advertises it?s a sealant, as does locktite 505. I?m not a fan of Teflon tape and would NEVER use it in a fuel system and prefer not to use it in my smoke system except as a last resort. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Baker Seal

I?m ashamed to admit I?m a dribbler??.
When I turn my smoke system off it shuts off immediately then 10-30 seconds later the lines must drain (running two injectors that are joined together at the firewall) and I puff smoke for 3-5 seconds. The check valves don?t help. Buck Roteman of Wild Horse Aviation airshows uses a solenoid on his Pitts and it works perfect so I installed two of them on my system. I have some oil leakage at the pipe fittings that go into the solenoids. Can someone recommend a good sealant? Fuel lube (Ez Turn) advertises it?s a sealant, as does locktite 505. I?m not a fan of Teflon tape and would NEVER use it in a fuel system and prefer not to use it in my smoke system except as a last resort. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I?ve had good results with Bakerseal on oil system NPT fittings.

Skylor

Can?t find bakerseal

I tried to find bakerseal at Ace, O?rely?s, Pep Boys, Advanced and Aircraft Spruce. Pretty rare stuff. Any other suggestions for a different product?
Thank you
Bob

Bakerseal?

I tried to find bakerseal at Ace, O?rely?s, Pep Boys, Advanced and Aircraft Spruce. Pretty rare stuff. Any other suggestions for a different product?
Thank you
Bob

Well that?s interesting. It must be out of production. I think I have a lifetime?s supply worth!

Skylor

Thread sealant

I wouldn?t hesitate to use Teflon tape on the smoke system.. no big risk there if a piece goes down stream. You could also use Teflon paste found at any auto store..

I tried to find bakerseal at Ace, O’rely’s, Pep Boys, Advanced and Aircraft Spruce. Pretty rare stuff. Any other suggestions for a different product?
Thank you
Bob

Well that’s interesting. It must be out of production. I think I have a lifetime’s supply worth!

Skylor

SM_T4008.JPG

I purchased what I have at Aircraft Spruce years ago. Just searched their website and cannot find it.

Any of the PTFE pipe thread sealants sold by Home Depot or Lowe's will work.

Last edited:
Well, PTFE or Permantex #2 has always served us well. Looking at the pics, unless my eyes are really getting bad, it seems that there is alot of NPT thread sticking out. UH, these fittings are TIGHT, correct?
Tom

Permatex

I?ve decided I?m going to use permatex 3. It?s what I used on the fittings for my inverted oil system. If I can?t find number 3 number 2 is a reasonable substitute. Thanks

Well, PTFE or Permantex #2 has always served us well. Looking at the pics, unless my eyes are really getting bad, it seems that there is alot of NPT thread sticking out. UH, these fittings are TIGHT, correct?
Tom

They?re Very tight (almost scary). I thought the same thing

They?re Very tight (almost scary). I thought the same thing

Are you sure that the threads in the fitting are NPT? I have seen NPT threads screw into a mating fitting with similar-enough straight threads, and the amount of NPT sticking out looked remarkably similar to your photo... I know this sounds like a "how could I possibly do that" situation, but the only reason I know about it is that I did it myself. :( I was certain both threads were NPT, and they did screw together perfectly up to a point, before getting remarkably tight very quickly. NPT threads usually kind of softly approach the point of tightness.

Doknow....

I’ll check when I get back in town on Tuesday. That would be a bonehead move it that’s what it turns out to be.... standby

Yep, not NPT

As it turns out the threads in the solenoid are straight 1/4? and not NPT. After a trip to two speed shops unsuccessfully trying to find the proper fittings, I re-thought the design. I?ve decided to simplify and go with two manual check valves that have a 1 psi cracking pressure. I?m hoping that using two valves will prevent the smoke dribbling as the lines siphon empty after the system is turned off. I?ll fly it this weekend an let you know. I?m probably just reinventing the wheel here...... sigh

Straight Thread Ports

As it turns out the threads in the solenoid are straight 1/4? and not NPT.

snip...

Often, you can just thread an AN815 union with the appropriately sized o-ring installed on one side into straight-thread ports.

Summit has the proper type of fitting:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220164b?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-summit-racing&gclid=CjwKCAjwiZnnBRBQEiwAcWKfYvqVguxtvhxS6FtTD5422Zg3uVhifcpXdFxQATA_7MBBvgN0SVZCyxoCsmUQAvD_BwE

Skylor

Back