What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 sliding canopy latch Broke?

mabsten

I'm New Here
Overhead canopy latch broke off where it hooks when you turn handle to latch.Cant find where to buy latch and cant fly till I can latch it or replace top of latch that latches. Any help. New to Vans and RV 6 Thanks Mike

Overhead canopy latch broke off where it hooks when you turn handle to latch.Cant find where to buy latch and cant fly till I can latch it or replace top of latch that latches. Any help. New to Vans and RV 6 Thanks Mike

Is it the aluminum latch that broke, or the latch pin on the rollbar? If it is the aluminum, you can just make a new one from 0.063 or order from vans (PN C-654-1). If it is the latch pin on the rollbar, you will have to weld a new one on.

Edit: Even if you order the parts from vans, it requires fitting, not just a bolt-on and go part.

@mabsten, if you haven't already, I highly recommend buying the RV-6 plans from Van's to match your airplane. They are available digitally, and are a great reference for someone who owns a plane that they didn't build.

If the broken part is shown on the plans, the Van's factory will be able to help you find a replacement and if the plans don't help they should be able to help you figure out how to repair it as well. You may still want to enlist a local RV builder to help with fabrication if you're new to that as well.

Back